Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
This has been the worst day ever. I am so mad at myself and we’re just crushed. I had an appointment out of town and put the box with Poofy/Bluffy and the poorly shipped chick in the washroom so the dogs couldn’t get them. The GFCI tripped and we arrived home to no lamps on. I thought they were both dead already and broke down. While I was holding them, she took a little breath. We tried to revive her and warm her up, but she didn’t make it. I’ve never cried so much. I helped her hatch! She was so tiny. I feel like it was my fault

View attachment 3473300View attachment 3473301View attachment 3473302
Im so sorry 😞 sometimes these things happen, it's really not your fault. You were making an extra effort for them in fact. *Hugs*

I’ve got a question for you Silkie experts. So I’ve been trying to breed my white Silkie to my black (I know your not really supposed to do that) to see if my white hen is recessive white to get splash chicks. Anyway they have bred in the past once and produced a black cockerel. This year I’ve incubated around 15-20 eggs and none of them have developed. I know my rooster breeds her. And I’ve trimmed the feathers around both of their vents. I also know the rooster is fertail bc he produced a chick with my satin frizzle this year.Is there anything else I should do to try to get them to produce fertail eggs?
P.S I’ve put I different Silkiex roo with her to see if she’ll breed with him, and I’ve given the pure roo some girls just so I can get some Silkie mix chicks.. Both produced chicks last year.

Splash is 2 copies of the blue gene. Recessive white doesn't show if there is only 1 copy. Are you thinking of paint? That uses dominant white. I don't know what all goes on with breeding for paint. Hopefully one of the splash breeders will comment.

Eta (used splash instead of paint at the end)

Last edited:
Splash is 2 copies of the blue gene. Recessive white doesn't show if there is only 1 copy. Are you thinking of paint? That uses dominant white. I don't know what all goes on with breeding for splash. Hopefully one of the splash breeders will comment.
yes i meant to say paint not splash

For paints, you need one paint and one black, or two paints.. the white is dominant over the black color gene, and the paint speckles are the black leakage. So technically its a black chicken, covered in white paint. Without the dominant white, it's just a black chicken. Does that make sense (in the weird chicken coloring scheme of things)? So your white chicken is just a white chicken.

I have a paint currently, and i used to have a paint rooster too.. they would have made all paint babies.

If i want paint chicks now, I'd have to breed her to a black rooster, and I'd get 50% black, 50% paint.

If i had any other color rooster, it would work out as if she were a black chicken. The gene isn't dominant over any other color.

Here she is in the lower right with the rest of the gang.. she is so sweet!
20230324_182310.jpg

I have two newly hatched chicks that are as chocolate as chocolate can be (color wise), in addition they are both partridge or have the markings.. Will take pics when mom brings them out of the nest. Any ideas on what color they will be?
BTW these chicks are from this flock..
DSC_0040.JPG
Sioux did all the heavy lifting. What I got a peek of today..

Last edited:
I have two newly hatched chicks that are as chocolate as chocolate can be (color wise), in addition they are both partridge or have the markings.. Will take pics when mom brings them out of the nest. Any ideas on what color they will be?
BTW these chicks are from this flock.. View attachment 3474345Sioux did all the heavy lifting. What I got a peek of today..
Adorable! I was like wow ,shes really protecting those eggs... you should have heard me Scream when i saw the babies!!!! Love!!

For paints, you need one paint and one black, or two paints.. the white is dominant over the black color gene, and the paint speckles are the black leakage. So technically its a black chicken, covered in white paint. Without the dominant white, it's just a black chicken. Does that make sense (in the weird chicken coloring scheme of things)? So your white chicken is just a white chicken.

I have a paint currently, and i used to have a paint rooster too.. they would have made all paint babies.

If i want paint chicks now, I'd have to breed her to a black rooster, and I'd get 50% black, 50% paint.

If i had any other color rooster, it would work out as if she were a black chicken. The gene isn't dominant over any other color.
Thanks, yes I understand how to get paint.
The thing I can’t get is for my white hen to except the rooster. He breeds her but none of her eggs develop. So I don’t know what to do to get her to produce fertail eggs. I have even taken the roo out for a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom