Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Here are a few more of the babies from those two BBOs... One momma is F1, the other is not. I'll need a blue with splash background to breed them with when they get older, but for now he's busy with other hens. (Poor boy!)
DSC_0430.JPG
DSC_0432.JPG
DSC_0433.JPG

hello 😅 Today I was surprise gifted some silkie chicks, and I’m not sure what to do.
View attachment 3504357
they’re cute, but I- in a very similar situation of just randomly being gifted them- attempted to raise two silkies over a year ago, and both died prematurely, so I’m worried about these ones.

i have them on heat for the night, and the summer should be warm enough in the day that they’ll be okay, but I’m worried about their vigor, and how best to raise them. They aren’t very active right now, though that may be because of fear or shock, and I’m worried they’ll be hard to handle.. Not to mock the breed. I’d appreciate any input on how to keep them healthy.

Another also; two of my chicks are vaulted. Is this something to breed away from in silkies?
View attachment 3504359View attachment 3504360View attachment 3504361View attachment 3504358

welcome to the silkie world!

I find silkies harder than many other breeds. for the first month keep them warm. I have mine with a 60w lamp - yellow light (24h). they need proteins for their feathers and for some reason a lot of grass. I let mine forage a bit every day and they lay a lot of eggs. without greens they lay less - that is my experience.

Haven’t visited here in awhile! Popping in to say hi and share my excitement. I got some eggs from a lady who has a Gold Laced satin that she crossed with a confetti satin rooster. She threw them in as part of a “surprise” mix and from the four eggs I got two that hatched.

This one is what I expected to see…she is frizzled and her feathers are sorta barred, sorta laced, and she’s amazing 😍
F6D289FB-7CB7-44DD-82B4-8E1D1A9663FD.jpeg

But this baby who hatched a couple weeks later, I did not expect! The more she feathers in, the more it looks like a lavender mottled or maybe porcelain color. I’m so excited to see how it continues to feather out!! 😍😍 I wouldn’t be mad if it was a he either…between the frizzle and Duchess my adult satin, I could make some really amazing baby chicks! 😍😍😍😍
9D53D015-AD9E-41E4-9903-65A59EE1FBAD.jpeg

Duchess has fit in super well and she and Sia became fast friends! 😍
FF4CF8A6-890A-4B92-8BD2-9963C26621C1.jpeg

CF1A4930-6FFC-4D3D-91F7-160693FF1683.jpeg

728BD029-EB34-4167-BA5C-FE765C5CB192.jpeg

Happy Mother’s Day to all you chicke mommas! 💐

Haven’t visited here in awhile! Popping in to say hi and share my excitement. I got some eggs from a lady who has a Gold Laced satin that she crossed with a confetti satin rooster. She threw them in as part of a “surprise” mix and from the four eggs I got two that hatched.

This one is what I expected to see…she is frizzled and her feathers are sorta barred, sorta laced, and she’s amazing 😍
View attachment 3505950

But this baby who hatched a couple weeks later, I did not expect! The more she feathers in, the more it looks like a lavender mottled or maybe porcelain color. I’m so excited to see how it continues to feather out!! 😍😍 I wouldn’t be mad if it was a he either…between the frizzle and Duchess my adult satin, I could make some really amazing baby chicks! 😍😍😍😍
View attachment 3505951

Duchess has fit in super well and she and Sia became fast friends! 😍
View attachment 3505952
View attachment 3505953
View attachment 3505954

Happy Mother’s Day to all you chicke mommas! 💐
Oooooh that baby is going to extra gorgeous! Can’t wait to see how she matures 😍

Ok, the broody situation is getting out of hand 😂 I have EIGHT hens thinking they need babies! Those are just the commuted ones too… A few have sat for a few days and decided it was not for them. My silkies and banty Cochin have been given eggs, but I’m not sure if it was a good idea. They’d been sitting for at least a week and the eggs were fresh. So several ideas I need help with!

1. Let them keep sitting on the eggs
1a. Put in incubator if they don’t last the whole 21 days

2. Prefab coop as Broodyland: Move Ethel the Polish who prefers solitude and put all my broodies in that coop. Slip chicks under them in the night (fresh hatched Marans)

3. Try to fit the popup crate in the main coop. Who do I pick up go in? Can several hens share it?

Back
Top Bottom