Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Let’s all cross our fingers for little one, mama abandoned the last egg and I was so sure it was dead 😭 It’s been such a busy week and I had a horrible migraine, so I forgot to check on the pipped egg later this afternoon. Tucked everyone in and saw it hadn’t hatched, grabbed it and the other eggs to candle. It was cold and the beak felt stiff when I touched it. They weren’t good, so I chucked them in the field and took this one in to see who laid it. As I was holding it out to my husband to see, the beak moved! Warmed up the incubator asap, cleared the membrane from the face, the shell was crumbling away. I stopped when I saw blood and put it in the nicu. It’s unfolded enough to see five fuzzy toes and is peeping away, hopefully we have a fluffy baby ready to go back to mom in the morning 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 I feel awful about leaving it alone all afternoon!

5CDCE2D5-E0E1-416B-B617-CE49B48CB67D.jpeg

Let’s all cross our fingers for little one, mama abandoned the last egg and I was so sure it was dead 😭 It’s been such a busy week and I had a horrible migraine, so I forgot to check on the pipped egg later this afternoon. Tucked everyone in and saw it hadn’t hatched, grabbed it and the other eggs to candle. It was cold and the beak felt stiff when I touched it. They weren’t good, so I chucked them in the field and took this one in to see who laid it. As I was holding it out to my husband to see, the beak moved! Warmed up the incubator asap, cleared the membrane from the face, the shell was crumbling away. I stopped when I saw blood and put it in the nicu. It’s unfolded enough to see five fuzzy toes and is peeping away, hopefully we have a fluffy baby ready to go back to mom in the morning 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 I feel awful about leaving it alone all afternoon!

View attachment 3537324
I had the same happen to a few eggs only momma wasn't abandoning her babies, another hen was pitching her out of the nest to lay an egg and some got crushed, one had the top nearly knocked off.. I brought the later one in and put it in the backup incubator swaddled so it wouldn't roll around. It the little red baby in the bunch.. The little goldie pie got knocked out of the nest. The other 4 are from 6 silkie eggs that were hatching at the same time. (I line my plastic brooder tubes with empty feed bags before putting down shavings.. It really helps out)
20230610_210142.jpg

Back
Top Bottom