Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Does anyone on here have pics of rooster silkies? Pretty sure ours is

Do you know if they are nice or little turds like most roosters
I have 6 rooster (silkies) and they are all dreamboats. Not only that, but they are great dads, and very alert for predators.

I might add.. Just toted 2 18 week old satin boys (part silkie) up to the bachelor pad. I've never handled them before, and they never fought or screamed once. Just settled down in my arms and responded in kind when I talked to them while in transport up the hill to their new pen.

Last edited:

I think it all depends on the bird and their age. Here is my Ombre silkie cockerel. His comb is getting larger and his wattles are turning purple and becoming more pronounced he is 16 weeks old. He does crow already also. He is affectionate 90% of the time.
IMG_20230612_105628.jpg
IMG_20230515_071017.jpg

Mine are all pretty easy to tell because of color except for the little 12 week old black cockerel. They haven't really started to get the streamers in on their crests yet. Will be a few more weeks for that.

The 2 cockerels.
20230604_100408.jpg
20230615_201414.jpg

Some of the adults. Each is a different rooster. They do look different to me. I'm working on getting the black back better again on them. Lost the nice color when I added new boys after not breeding for several years.

20230618_195857.jpg
20230618_195630.jpg
20230618_195537.jpg
20230618_195614.jpg
20230618_195500.jpg
20230618_195030.jpg
20230618_195359.jpg

Why are you not supposed to breed black to white Silkies?

I can think of a good reason not to breed white to any other color. Silkie white is supposed to be recessive white so it will hide until two carriers are bred together. White is usually partridge underneath as it's the default chicken color. That will make any chicks whatever color mixed with partridge. Well I guess it would be grey aka silver partridge as whites are silver based. They are one of the only breeds that are normally recessive white. It's the original silkie color.

Any dominant white silkies come from paint projects.

Actual silkie black is supposed to be gold based. The beetling on the feathers looks different between gold and silver based.

Blue, black, splash silkies are silver based so they aren't a proper black and it will get noticed at a show.

Hi everyone.

It has been awhile since I posted. I am excited and anxious as I finally have quality silkie eggs being shipped to me. They are due to arrive Thursday and I have my fingers crossed they arrive safely. I have never had shipped eggs before so huge learning curve and I am reading up praying I do everything right. If they all arrive unbroken I should have 6 black and 2 or 3 additional white eggs to hopefully hatch out.

I can think of a good reason not to breed white to any other color. Silkie white is supposed to be recessive white so it will hide until two carriers are bred together. White is usually partridge underneath as it's the default chicken color. That will make any chicks whatever color mixed with partridge. Well I guess it would be grey aka silver partridge as whites are silver based. They are one of the only breeds that are normally recessive white. It's the original silkie color.

Any dominant white silkies come from paint projects.

Actual silkie black is supposed to be gold based. The beetling on the feathers looks different between gold and silver based.

Blue, black, splash silkies are silver based so they aren't a proper black and it will get noticed at a show.

I have black hens and silver black roos. they are brothers and sisters (mom might be there as well, forgot to mark her). one of the chicks I hatched has a huge red dot on head :idunno

Back
Top Bottom