Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Hey I have a few girls that are a couple months older than a year old as well as a couple months shy of a year old and 4 of them have similar broken feathers off their backs above the tail area. Here's a pic of my Satin.
Could this be caused from mating? I have 2 boys to 10 girls and am trying to get them separated.
I don't think it is a molt as there aren't very many pin feathers.
I have 1 girl d'uccle that has this around her neck opposed to her back.
Just trying to determine what's going on.
View attachment 3552875

looks like boy's job.

Just curious.
My daughter bought these three, two year old girls a few weeks ago to be company for my little cochin guy, Mr. Biggs. (Was my birthday present)
I know the black one (Felina) is from an silkie & Ayam cemani rooster and silkie mom mix.
I can't remember what I was told about the white one with black spots, (Salina) other than she has a silkie x Ayam cemani father. Any ideas?
View attachment 3521124
View attachment 3521127
They've been with Mr. Biggs for more than a month, and Salina and Melinda (the mottled cochin) are broody so I set some eggs. We are on day 14. (I think)
Kind of wondering what chicks we may get.
O my goodness! I have a pullet that looks like the white one. She has black skin also and beautiful eyes. I'm just browsing the silkies thread. I used to have silkies and will probably never get that out of my system. :)

Attachments

• marple.png
    marple.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
O my goodness! I have a pullet that looks like the white one. She has black skin also and beautiful eyes. I'm just browsing the silkies thread. I used to have silkies and will probably never get that out of my system. :)
She and her "sister" hatched out some babies with a red frizzle cochin recently. This (the frizzle) is from one of her eggs. It is the absolute cutest, but I don't see any silkie genes at work, so far.
20230618_170343.jpg

She and her "sister" hatched out some babies with a red frizzle cochin recently. This (the frizzle) is from one of her eggs. It is the absolute cutest, but I don't see any silkie genes at work, so far.
View attachment 3554104

Remember thar silkied feathers are recessive.

I have a color question too. I have two blue satin girls that are getting older now, I'd have to look to see when they are old enough, but I want to put them in with Gen Lee who is a Silver Partridge. Any clues what type (color) partridge chicks I'll end up with? I only have one Blue Silkie roo and that's their dad. I don't want to put them with a Splash or Black roo, so Gen Lee gets the honors. He produced 3 really pretty satin babies with their mother before she went to Lil Boy Blue.

Oh boy, my chicken math is mathin’!

I have 3 silkies but it appears my boy isn’t getting his job done currently.

I set 14 shipped eggs in my incubator 12 days ago. Only 6 are currently viable. I also have a broody who I want to slip babies under but now I’m afraid none of my eggs will hatch.

So I’ve preordered 8 chicks from another breeder that are set to hatch a few days before my incubating eggs.

And my husband had to take my phone away from me last night to stop me from ordering 2 dozen more fertilized eggs from a 3rd breeder lol.

Oh boy, my chicken math is mathin’!

I have 3 silkies but it appears my boy isn’t getting his job done currently.

I set 14 shipped eggs in my incubator 12 days ago. Only 6 are currently viable. I also have a broody who I want to slip babies under but now I’m afraid none of my eggs will hatch.

So I’ve preordered 8 chicks from another breeder that are set to hatch a few days before my incubating eggs.

And my husband had to take my phone away from me last night to stop me from ordering 2 dozen more fertilized eggs from a 3rd breeder lol.
I feel your pain. As soon as Chick Days start around here, my kids threaten to take my keys. I am not, under any circumstances, allowed anywhere near TSC - or any other feed store - unattended until all of the bins are empty!
... {{ ... sigh ... }} ...

EDIT to Add: No Silkies at the moment. I've had them before and they won't be my last ... I have a spare set of car keys!

Back
Top Bottom