Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
So like most others we are in heat advisory with temps at 100 and feels like 124°.
On top of that I'm treating my flock for coccidia. Ugh - so no electrolytes for them til after Sunday or Monday.
I'm wondering if I could just dip their booties in cool water to wash their bums.
Or would this be risking their ability to regulate body temp in this heat wave and high humidity?
All the girls have icky bums and 1 boy. I'd rather not cut it out...but will if better for them so as not to get fly strike now.
Many keepers recommend giving them a hog pan of cold water to stand in when things get over-hot, so I can't imagine a spot wash would hurt them. I use Corid (amprolium) for coccidiosis, and that's inexpensive enough around here that I can lace the dip-water with it - cause I know they'll drink it, too.
For dealing with the heat, try giving them a half of a watermelon that's been cooled in the fridge. I get my "chicken melons" from the discount table at our local produce stand. The chickens don't mind them a little bruised or over-ripe, and I don't mind giving my birds a treat that keeps them hydrated without making me poor!

I wash them in summer. They dry fast. Seem happier for a while as well. I hate having to do butt baths in winter. They take awhile to blow dry even if they do like itm .

I give the large fowl a bowl of water to stand in. The old lady lives in that bowl on hot days. My silkies won't stand in it but do prefer water from a bowl. They live half in the dirt under shade when it's hot.

my silkie hatched 2 chicks: silkie and fayoumi. she does not care about them. another hen was pecking the silkie chick and she did not care. then she stepped on the fayoumi chick, almost killed it. luckily I was there and took them both. she is still sitting on 2 eggs but I don't think they'll hatch.

in a few days my dutch bantam will hatch some eggs so I will give these 2 babies to her.

my silkie hatched 2 chicks: silkie and fayoumi. she does not care about them. another hen was pecking the silkie chick and she did not care. then she stepped on the fayoumi chick, almost killed it. luckily I was there and took them both. she is still sitting on 2 eggs but I don't think they'll hatch.

in a few days my dutch bantam will hatch some eggs so I will give these 2 babies to her.
Oh how sad, that is so unusual for a silkie. I have had astonishingly good luck with my broodies. Both silkie and barnyard mutt/EE.

my old girl (I think she’s Marans x of some sort), at 4 yrs old went broody first time and wouldn’t quit being broody not eating or drinking whenever I dragged her off the nest.

So Wednesday I went to Peavey Mart (formerly TSC here) they had day olds from Hoovers come in - so I grabbed 4 supposed pullets and shoved them under her!

Amazing mom, I was a bit leery but wow she is an awesome mama! She is back eating and drinking and scratching around with her babies so cute. I will have a lot of chickens to sell later this summer!

32E654E5-4AF5-4C08-B082-6272193792B0.jpeg

Oh how sad, that is so unusual for a silkie. I have had astonishingly good luck with my broodies. Both silkie and barnyard mutt/EE.

my old girl (I think she’s Marans x of some sort), at 4 yrs old went broody first time and wouldn’t quit being broody not eating or drinking whenever I dragged her off the nest.

So Wednesday I went to Peavey Mart (formerly TSC here) they had day olds from Hoovers come in - so I grabbed 4 supposed pullets and shoved them under her!

Amazing mom, I was a bit leery but wow she is an awesome mama! She is back eating and drinking and scratching around with her babies so cute. I will have a lot of chickens to sell later this summer!

View attachment 3563076
Since you said Peavy Mart I assume you’re also in Ontario! Question, which location had day olds?!? I haven’t been to a Peavy Mart yet (our TSC just shut down, didn’t become PM) but I never saw them in the old TSC. I assumed ontario locations didn’t get them in!

I have a couple of youngsters that are this color.. Would you call them blue partridge? And what would you breed them too? I like the blue without any apparent red.
DSC_0630.JPG
DSC_0647.JPG
And then there's one little pumpkin babie from Little Running Bear and I'm Blue Too that got wiped out by a possum.
DSC_0629.JPG
Out of all the offspring this lil one is the only one that came out with dad's color.. All the others are Blue or Splash.
DSC_0627.JPG

I have a couple of youngsters that are this color.. Would you call them blue partridge? And what would you breed them too? I like the blue without any apparent red. View attachment 3563558View attachment 3563559 And then there's one little pumpkin babie from Little Running Bear and I'm Blue Too that got wiped out by a possum. View attachment 3563560 Out of all the offspring this lil one is the only one that came out with dad's color.. All the others are Blue or Splash.View attachment 3563561

I'm not sure what the silver partridge would look like with blue. Just paler?

14 week old blue partridge cockerel. Unfortunately I know he carries lavender so he's no good for my continued breeding. He's much better looking than the one I have now.
20230702_204035.jpg

Two in the middle are blue partridge. They are molting so not the best look right now.
20230702_203846.jpg

Back
Top Bottom