Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I picked these babies up from a breeder today and gave 4 to my broody. Fingers crossed she accepts them and is a good mama!
IMG_9615.jpeg
IMG_9619.jpeg

Since you said Peavy Mart I assume you’re also in Ontario! Question, which location had day olds?!? I haven’t been to a Peavy Mart yet (our TSC just shut down, didn’t become PM) but I never saw them in the old TSC. I assumed ontario locations didn’t get them in!
Sorry just saw this - yea Ontario - the Alliston location - I think they get orders in every week or so, from Hoovers.

That location closed as TSC and switched to Peavey Mart I want to say last year…

Not sure why they get chicks from Hoovers and not Freys, but there are two other feed stores that get orders in from Freys.

I think when they were TSC they ordered from Hoovers and they just kept the same supplier.

I picked these babies up from a breeder today and gave 4 to my broody. Fingers crossed she accepts them and is a good mama! View attachment 3565723View attachment 3565724
Adorable! Can’t wait to see more photos!!

I tucked chicks right up under the mamas armpits and keep it dark, leave her for about a half hour then quietly check her to make sure all is ok. Then I check hourly. If by next morning all is good then she has accepted them ❤️

I have a couple of youngsters that are this color.. Would you call them blue partridge? And what would you breed them too? I like the blue without any apparent red. View attachment 3563558View attachment 3563559 And then there's one little pumpkin babie from Little Running Bear and I'm Blue Too that got wiped out by a possum. View attachment 3563560 Out of all the offspring this lil one is the only one that came out with dad's color.. All the others are Blue or Splash.View attachment 3563561
Gorgeous 😊

Adorable! Can’t wait to see more photos!!

I tucked chicks right up under the mamas armpits and keep it dark, leave her for about a half hour then quietly check her to make sure all is ok. Then I check hourly. If by next morning all is good then she has accepted them ❤️
So far it seems like she’s accepting them!

It’s SO HOT though that she’s panting but won’t take a drink even when she gets up. The chicks are benefiting from the heat, wheeling all around the coop like they own the place lol. They get nice and close to her but haven’t tucked under her much yet.

I will be obsessively checking on them every hour…probably every 20 minutes lol

So far it seems like she’s accepting them!

It’s SO HOT though that she’s panting but won’t take a drink even when she gets up. The chicks are benefiting from the heat, wheeling all around the coop like they own the place lol. They get nice and close to her but haven’t tucked under her much yet.

I will be obsessively checking on them every hour…probably every 20 minutes lol
Poor mama, silkies are great mamas I find. My one silkie just weaned her kiddos but she is very interested in Sophia’s babies and I bet she would steal them if I am not careful 😊

Those are adorable chickies how old are they? Is that 8 I counted? Gosh they are cute!
💕💕💕💕💕

I would breed my silkies but I worry too much about getting baby Roos, and then having to rehome them 😟 so hard with Roos 😢

I already have a silkie x polish that I was just praying would be a pullet - he crowed on Saturday dashing my hopes. Poor Martina is a Martin.

My friend (the owner of the silkie chicks) has a bunch of my silkie eggs I gave her, bred by my Polish Roo, that she hatched out. I cannot wait to see what they look like, I really like the Silkie x polish look, the fanciness of both came through in Martin. Just too bad she is a he 😟
030E7848-9F7C-4971-9AA6-77A2C49C219C.jpeg

Poor mama, silkies are great mamas I find. My one silkie just weaned her kiddos but she is very interested in Sophia’s babies and I bet she would steal them if I am not careful 😊

Those are adorable chickies how old are they? Is that 8 I counted? Gosh they are cute!
💕💕💕💕💕

I would breed my silkies but I worry too much about getting baby Roos, and then having to rehome them 😟 so hard with Roos 😢

I already have a silkie x polish that I was just praying would be a pullet - he crowed on Saturday dashing my hopes. Poor Martina is a Martin.

My friend (the owner of the silkie chicks) has a bunch of my silkie eggs I gave her, bred by my Polish Roo, that she hatched out. I cannot wait to see what they look like, I really like the Silkie x polish look, the fanciness of both came through in Martin. Just too bad she is a he 😟
View attachment 3566000
This is my first broody silkie but I’m learning fast that they make great moms!

I got 8 day olds (well, 1-2 day olds, they hatched 07/02 and 07/03). They look roughly split as 4 partridge/buff/mixes and 4 white/lavender/maybe diluted buff/mixes, so I gave the partridges to the broody, and the other 4 I have in the brooder. I also have 6 eggs incubating (hatching 07/06) that will be added to the brooder - assuming they hatch. I’m nervous lol.

We are building a new coop that will be split, hence the splitting of the chicks. This is one of the ways I’m attempting to be able to keep more roos lol.

I’m trying to tell myself not to get too attached early on because of the rehoming aspect. We’ll see how well that goes 😂

Your Martin is a GORGEOUS boy! We have the same taste in chickens…when I was deciding which breed to raise it was between silkies and polish. They just look so “extra” and I love it lol.

Back
Top Bottom