Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
You may be on to something there! The one project I was doing to get calico splash involved 2 BBO hens, one of which was an F1 (silver partridge dad x BBO). I got some tri-colored chicks from her, one of which is a calico spash satin. So it takes buff added to splash (or paint) to get there. Hence the light buff babies from that pair.
My project babies:View attachment 3570282
View attachment 3570281
If my partridge splash doesn't work out I may have to try using my buff sussex and see what I get, or maybe I should try both along side each other... 🤔

Has anyone has much success housing two silkie roos with only a small number of hens? I want to if possible keep my boys together so they get along but soon I may be getting one possibly two hens. Along with moving my frizzle in with them that'd be 2-3 hens and I don't know if that's gonna work out with 2 boys.

If my partridge splash doesn't work out I may have to try using my buff sussex and see what I get, or maybe I should try both along side each other... 🤔

Has anyone has much success housing two silkie roos with only a small number of hens? I want to if possible keep my boys together so they get along but soon I may be getting one possibly two hens. Along with moving my frizzle in with them that'd be 2-3 hens and I don't know if that's gonna work out with 2 boys.

Ive had no real issues as long as they are raised together and never separated, or it's the male chicks who were raised in the pen with the rooster.

Sometimes you get a male who will not get along with any other.

Watch for overbreeding on hens.

I was thinking about the over breeding with so few hens. Bare backs

My other options would be separate them or throw a couple sussex pullets in with them.
I'm having such a hard time getting even a few correctly coloured hens :barnie
There is a thread I'm participating in where we are trying to decide the best route for calico splashes. I got one in this group from a BBO (f1) and a splash rooster (silkie)

There is a thread I'm participating in where we are trying to decide the best route for calico splashes. I got one in this group from a BBO (f1) and a splash rooster (silkie)
Do you remember which thread that was? I think I did reply to one to follow...
Your BBO F1 was with silkie, correct?

Do you remember which thread that was? I think I did reply to one to follow...
Your BBO F1 was with silkie, correct?
Correct on the silkie.. Her mother, a BBO was bred to my silver partridge silkie simply because he had no wives. Then that offspring and another BBO was put with the splash rooster. The F1 (First gen silkie mix) produced the lighter colors and more fluff.
Here's the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/producing-calico-silkies.1184793/

Correct on the silkie.. Her mother, a BBO was bred to my silver partridge silkie simply because he had no wives. Then that offspring and another BBO was put with the splash rooster. The F1 (First gen silkie mix) produced the lighter colors and more fluff.
Here's the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/producing-calico-silkies.1184793/
Interestingly if I replace BBO with sussex I could almost do that exactly (my silver Partridge is also blue so I wonder how that'll effect it...) 🤔 Sussex are fairly different to Orpingtons though...
And yep that's the thread I replied to.

Screenshot_20210504-143219_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210504-143235_Facebook.jpg

I had 4 roos with 6 hens.

Back
Top Bottom