Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I was thinking about the over breeding with so few hens. Bare backs
I have this issue with my silkie hen being over bred by my Polish Roo (those 2 are lovers and stick together), I put an apron on her but with the hot summer weather I had to remove it.

I am hoping she goes broody so she can sit in a nest box on golf balls and grow back her feathers!!

This hen was given to me because she was always going broody and not fitting in with their flock. I have had her 2 years and she has only gone broody once! Hahaha, lays regularly, and with my Roo is just enjoying being a bossy hen.

All the babies hatched! And I think I might have a paint ❤️

They’re still a little damp this AM so I’ll be adding them to the brooder with my 5 day-olds this evening. Any tips, or should they integrate pretty easily?
View attachment 3568803
Whatever u do don't do what I did!
I had same situation last year and thought I was being smart moving the 5 day olds to the brooder which is inside my main run.
This let the babies that had just hatched have couple days to acclimate to eating and drinking.
Then I brought the older ones back to main brooder and must have also brought coccidia with em which made the newly hatched chicks all sick!

Hey yall...when silkies do their 1st year molt about how long does it last and how pitiful do they look?
Bambi has pin feathers that I'm starting to see in her wings! So this gives me hope that they aren't sick but rather molting...or over mated.
Mine are all at the 1 year or little more age and Bambi is missing her entire tail!
My youngest chickens all look perfectly so just trying to figure out what's going on.
I've got a separate coop but not finished yet which is where I will put my 3 boys...but right now they are all in with 10 girls.

Hey yall...when silkies do their 1st year molt about how long does it last and how pitiful do they look?
Bambi has pin feathers that I'm starting to see in her wings! So this gives me hope that they aren't sick but rather molting...or over mated.
Mine are all at the 1 year or little more age and Bambi is missing her entire tail!
My youngest chickens all look perfectly so just trying to figure out what's going on.
I've got a separate coop but not finished yet which is where I will put my 3 boys...but right now they are all in with 10 girls.
Lancelot is just about a year old and has lost his tail feathers, other than that he looks normal. Two of my other roos are molting (feathers all over) but other than a thinning of his butt fluff I don't see much difference.

Silkies usually don't look as bad as normal feathered birds when they molt. I rarely get totally bald ones. Usually it's a couple months at least for mine to complete it. I don't pay that much attention to the loosing feather stage. Couple weeks to get them back if I remember tight. One of my blue partridge has been looking rattier and rattier last 3 weeks. No pinfeathers yet.

I had a hatchery rock that would drop her head feathers and grow them back in within a week and a half about, then she'd loose all her body feathers and grow them back over the next two weeks. It was startling to let them out in the morning and she'd be at least half bald by evening. Then she'd do the porcupine imitation and "No Touchy!".

Silkies usually don't look as bad as normal feathered birds when they molt. I rarely get totally bald ones. Usually it's a couple months at least for mine to complete it. I don't pay that much attention to the loosing feather stage. Couple weeks to get them back if I remember tight. One of my blue partridge has been looking rattier and rattier last 3 weeks. No pinfeathers yet.

I had a hatchery rock that would drop her head feathers and grow them back in within a week and a half about, then she'd loose all her body feathers and grow them back over the next two weeks. It was startling to let them out in the morning and she'd be at least half bald by evening. Then she'd do the porcupine imitation and "No Touchy!".
My black silkie did a complete molt last year - poor thing! Looked like some alien creature 😁

Then all the pin feathers started coming back in, but once done she looked glorious, took about 2 months .

I Just Have Never had an interest in these birds, someone convince me to try and raise some of the little boogers..
Do you need a reason to want to get some?

Mine lay lots of eggs, nice pinky peach eggs. Small but good on toast.

So if you want eggs there you are.

Back
Top Bottom