Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I sell 8-10 dozen eggs a week.. I have plenty of real chicken eggs..
You are fortunate to sell so many, they pile up in my fridge! I give oodles away to friends family and neighbours.

No one around here wants to buy eggs, they don’t want to drive here to get them. Price of fuel and all…. And legally I can only sell from the “farm gate”.

You should post some photos of your kiddies - esp babies 😊❤️ Silkies or not - we all love our chickens - I have ‘real’ chickens also, each has their own special way.

Wee silkie Frosty - sitting on my lap (spoilt girl!)
936ABB2C-4DD9-423E-9C9B-DCBB38D76CDE.jpeg

Sophia (Marans x) and some Hoover hatchery chicks - she is brooding for me.
5D9EB751-C4D7-488D-B153-3FA9F6B70D9B.jpeg

My sidekick Eli-too (PolishX chick) joining in a MS Teams meeting in my barn office 😊
5AEAD355-E1BD-4B68-AB86-70FD237F5C77.jpeg

You are fortunate to sell so many, they pile up in my fridge! I give oodles away to friends family and neighbours.

No one around here wants to buy eggs, they don’t want to drive here to get them. Price of fuel and all…. And legally I can only sell from the “farm gate”.

You should post some photos of your kiddies - esp babies 😊❤️ Silkies or not - we all love our chickens - I have ‘real’ chickens also, each has their own special way.

Wee silkie Frosty - sitting on my lap (spoilt girl!)
View attachment 3572879

Sophia (Marans x) and some Hoover hatchery chicks - she is brooding for me.
View attachment 3572876

My sidekick Eli-too (PolishX chick) joining in a MS Teams meeting in my barn office 😊
View attachment 3572877
I have kept 60-80 layers for 20 years, lost everything to a tornado 7 years ago and never got back to my old numbers.. I have Coturnix Quail, Florida White Rabbits, 5-6 BBB Turkey poults, and 45-50 layer hens now. I’m thinking of downsizing due to health and the heat.. just stumbled on the silkie post today and thought I would look around..

I have kept 60-80 layers for 20 years, lost everything to a tornado 7 years ago and never got back to my old numbers.. I have Coturnix Quail, Florida White Rabbits, 5-6 BBB Turkey poults, and 45-50 layer hens now. I’m thinking of downsizing due to health and the heat.. just stumbled on the silkie post today and thought I would look around..
Those quail babies are soooo tiny! I see photos of them and so tiny!

As a youth I raise and showed Rex and Netherland Dwarfs - great fun, but I got away from it when I finished school and started working full time. No time…

Blast from the past ❤️
1948AD57-78C3-4D9E-89E0-DBE74D2219B1.jpeg
38D22429-899B-465A-9AE7-69235BEEFE10.jpeg

Now I am the crazy chicken lady 😊

I Just Have Never had an interest in these birds, someone convince me to try and raise some of the little boogers..
Not every chicken breed is for everyone.
I'll never keep polish, production breeds and possibly leghorns too. They're just not chickens that interest me.
In my opinion silkies are good little layers, yeah sure they don't lay like other breeds. And it's a pretty general consensus that silkies are good broodies and mothers.

Last edited:
I'm so eggscited! Went out for afternoon feed and there was an egg in Poof Poof's nest! Way too early for her to start laying again as her babes are less than 2 weeks old.. Then I saw one I was concerned might be a rooster squat when Shadow Captain got close.. Ohh, no worries now. In spite of the fact she has no streamers, the size of her comb concerned me..
Shadow Captain is my Calico Splash Silkie.. He's a Prince!
This is Sherbert.
Talk about a BEARD!
DSC_0657.JPG

DSC_0651.JPG

Attachments

• AB0DE7C5-6D5F-4A9B-BE27-73E8153BC6FE.jpeg
    AB0DE7C5-6D5F-4A9B-BE27-73E8153BC6FE.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom