Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I have a few questions about color genetics.
Buff x black = partridge?
Buff x blue = blue partridge ?
Recessive white x Fawn = fawn/dun ?
Will and of these carry any recessive genes? And do my new roos have the correct comb type?
92228B96-F8CB-4DD8-B9E6-E0491A6F22ED.jpeg
0339BA52-AE8A-4FB5-9FCF-0B19438FE541.jpeg

I have a few questions about color genetics.
Buff x black = partridge?
Buff x blue = blue partridge ?
I'm not good at color genetics, but I can say I have a buff male with 5 hens, two of them are blue and self blue, and we got a chick that looks to be some type of partrigde!
Recessive white x Fawn = fawn/dun ?
Will and of these carry any recessive genes? And do my new roos have the correct comb type?
View attachment 3609292View attachment 3609291
Combs look good to me, but I would listen to what the Silkie gurus say. Pretty boys!😁

One of my adult hens is being so mean to the chicks (now 8 weeks old) that were raised in the coop with the adults.

She has always tried to attack and peck them, but their momma hen used to protect them when you get. Mom is laying again and no longer cares about her babies so the other hen has been torturing the chicks lately.

She goes out of her way to attack and peck the chicks at every chance she gets. Is this just normal pecking order stuff as the chicks get older? Will things eventually settle down once the order is established? Will there be a time when I’ll have to step in to try to stop it?

One of my adult hens is being so mean to the chicks (now 8 weeks old) that were raised in the coop with the adults.

She has always tried to attack and peck them, but their momma hen used to protect them when you get. Mom is laying again and no longer cares about her babies so the other hen has been torturing the chicks lately.

She goes out of her way to attack and peck the chicks at every chance she gets. Is this just normal pecking order stuff as the chicks get older? Will things eventually settle down once the order is established? Will there be a time when I’ll have to step in to try to stop it?

I have 3 mo pullets that peck the smaller ones with each opportunity they get.

Do they have plenty of room? My older hens will peck the younger ones if they are eating by them or go near them but once they get older they have always been fine

Do they have plenty of room? My older hens will peck the younger ones if they are eating by them or go near them but once they get older they have always been fine
They have lots of room (8x4 coop, 20x4 run) for 3 adults and 4 chicks.

I do notice that she pecks them more when they come near and food is involved. But I’ve seen her chase them around (via the ring camera I have) when nothing is involved…they even seem scared to walk past her and will turn the opposite way to avoid her.

Ive had hens that were just mean. 4 hatchery rocks that would hunt down anything smaller than them and try to kill it. I did the whole isolation thing with them and 2 rehabilitated. The other 2 immediately looked for someone to beat up so I ended up eating them.

They would go out of their pen and over to the silkie pen when I allowed supervised free range. They knew silkies were an easy target.

Also had a silkie rooster later that would not tolerate anything that wasn't a silkie. Like lead his hens on the warpath to beat up the ameraucana roosters, or any of the large fowl hens that he saw. He'd actually take off running if he saw them and they'd flee in terror. I had to not allow chicks to be raised in his presence because he was teaching that to his sons. He was finally taken out by a fed up and cornered ameraucana hen who got him on the vaulted skull. Blinded him. He lasted 6 months after but was super depressed. His 2 favorite hens would call him into and out of their house. Also to the food and water bowls. He just kind of gave up.

I had the most terrifying experience this week! I was out toddering about the yard and saw some buff coloured fluff under a bush. Finally found their newest stash spot… Or so I thought! The closer I got, the less like a full birb it looked. Panic filled me as I found buff fluff everywhere! We haven’t had predator issues this year and I thought our luck had come to an end 😭 I called and called for her! But she didn’t scream for me (it’s hilarious, a AHHHHHHH! squawk is her signature) Wee Buffy had been murdered! Upon close up inspection, I was relieved to find it was merely some plant fluff and Buffy was just too busy eating behind the shed. What a heart flip flop she gave me lol

01DE4335-2D6E-4DE0-94ED-EBD8B3EE851E.jpeg

F0D5FA84-AEEE-4DF3-848B-EC6772836EF7.jpeg

Ive had hens that were just mean. 4 hatchery rocks that would hunt down anything smaller than them and try to kill it. I did the whole isolation thing with them and 2 rehabilitated. The other 2 immediately looked for someone to beat up so I ended up eating them.

They would go out of their pen and over to the silkie pen when I allowed supervised free range. They knew silkies were an easy target.

Also had a silkie rooster later that would not tolerate anything that wasn't a silkie. Like lead his hens on the warpath to beat up the ameraucana roosters, or any of the large fowl hens that he saw. He'd actually take off running if he saw them and they'd flee in terror. I had to not allow chicks to be raised in his presence because he was teaching that to his sons. He was finally taken out by a fed up and cornered ameraucana hen who got him on the vaulted skull. Blinded him. He lasted 6 months after but was super depressed. His 2 favorite hens would call him into and out of their house. Also to the food and water bowls. He just kind of gave up.
I think I’ll try to rehab her in a few weeks (we head to the cabin soon, so not a great time). It’s so disappointing because she’s the sweetest one to me (loves being held, comes when called, etc) and has been my favourite since I got her. I had never seen her be so mean - and honestly didn’t know she had it in her!

Back
Top Bottom