Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I'm not even sure how many infertile eggs later I've gotten one to hatch! Catch is it's probably an accidental Polkie 😅
20231109_195946.jpg
20231109_195839.jpg

In your experience, do pullets tidbit as well or only cockerels?

My hard-to-sex splash (who still looks the same, so leaning pullet) was tidbitting to the others when I threw down some scratch just now. There are both pullets and cockerels in the pen with “her”.

I’ve never noticed any other pullet/hen of mine tidbit, so now I’m wondering if “she” is just a very girly boy.

Caught a few chicks this evening.

Boys

I think the top one is my wanted splash partridge. Middle is blue partridge. Bottom is a moorhead regular partridge. That blue partridge will be used for breeding probably. He's looking ok so far and doesn't have the moorhead.
VideoCapture_20231112-170846.jpg
VideoCapture_20231112-170949.jpg
20231112_163405.jpg

Girls. I may just get rid of any of the moorhead chicks. I don't want them for breeding. It's against standard.

VideoCapture_20231112-171009.jpg
VideoCapture_20231112-171019.jpg
VideoCapture_20231112-171106.jpg

Caught a few chicks this evening.

Boys

I think the top one is my wanted splash partridge. Middle is blue partridge. Bottom is a moorhead regular partridge. That blue partridge will be used for breeding probably. He's looking ok so far and doesn't have the moorhead.
View attachment 3682650View attachment 3682651View attachment 3682657

Girls. I may just get rid of any of the moorhead chicks. I don't want them for breeding. It's against standard.

View attachment 3682652View attachment 3682653View attachment 3682654
Moorhead's the ones with black head right? When I was looking for hens I came across a breeder who only breeds the partridges with black heads.

Moorhead's the ones with black head right? When I was looking for hens I came across a breeder who only breeds the partridges with black heads.

Yes. Partridge standard in chickens is with red heads. I think there is a specific breed that actually calls for the moorhead.

Yes. Partridge standard in chickens is with red heads. I think there is a specific breed that actually calls for the moorhead.
Interesting. I did pick two pullets/hens from this breeder I believe, they're coming from a different state later this month I think it is. I got a buff (or red? What people call each confuses me...) and a funky coloured partridge that she wasn't able to give me a proper colour name (said something along the lines of partridge with blue tones, so kinda guessing it's a Blue partridge?).

In your experience, do pullets tidbit as well or only cockerels?

My hard-to-sex splash (who still looks the same, so leaning pullet) was tidbitting to the others when I threw down some scratch just now. There are both pullets and cockerels in the pen with “her”.

I’ve never noticed any other pullet/hen of mine tidbit, so now I’m wondering if “she” is just a very girly boy.
My BFF girls tidbit w each other, it's really sweet i think.

My BFF girls tidbit w each other, it's really sweet i think.
This gives me some hope. Although now I’m questioning 2 that I *thought* were girls based on combs starting to grow in bigger. So I bit the bullet and order DNA testing for those two.

I feel like I’m in denial about them because if they’re boys it means I’ll have only gotten 2 girls out of 10 chicks (yikes!). I’ll know for sure in about a week!

Back
Top Bottom