Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I'm torn between male and female on this juvie.. Hatched on or about Oct 3rd by mom, he/she is in the house for treatment for wry neck. Streamers and long hackle feathers say one thing.. Comb not very large as that goes and no ridges on it.. but no wattle either. Hinotori, can you tell? Anyone? Even the body type would suggest female and the pelvic bones expand and contract when she/he is breathing. Don't mind the slick feathers, that's from Castor/hemp seed oil combo which has helped tremendously.
IMGP0002.JPG

I'm torn between male and female on this juvie.. Hatched on or about Oct 3rd by mom, he/she is in the house for treatment for wry neck. Streamers and long hackle feathers say one thing.. Comb not very large as that goes and no ridges on it.. but no wattle either. Hinotori, can you tell? Anyone? Even the body type would suggest female and the pelvic bones expand and contract when she/he is breathing. Don't mind the slick feathers, that's from Castor/hemp seed oil combo which has helped tremendously.View attachment 3759336

The actual redness of the comb and wattles makes me think male. However I was wrong on 2 of mine I thought were boys from my last hatch. It's always boys Im wrong on. If they have any androgynous to them I assume boy and am usually happy to be wrong.

Thanks Hinotori.. Is it normal for a male to not have wattles? I mean zip, zilch in the wattle dept.

Bearded males have no wattle or very small ones. The small ones on that bird are how my boys are until around 9 months.

I cant tell if your bird is bearded. If it's not, then there is a good chance at girl. I'm not so versed on non-bearded and their wattle development

Bearded males have no wattle or very small ones. The small ones on that bird are how my boys are until around 9 months.

I cant tell if your bird is bearded. If it's not, then there is a good chance at girl. I'm not so versed on non-bearded and their wattle development
Yup, bearded. A small one but it's there. It was hard to tell because of the oil I used on his neck to reduce swelling and pain. He's also chattering now, reminds me of Tiny Dancer (my avi image) when he was in the house.. chuckle chuckle.

I was a bad chicken mom. She's 4 years old so no excuse for me. Forgot to trim a beak last month and it was super overgrown. She knows the routine so stays still. Was just 4 snips instead of 3 to take it back down.

She could still eat fine. Is maybe a little fat and had a full crop. Excuse the wetness. It poured rain and my silkies will find rain or mud to play in.

Before
20240229_160530.jpg

After
20240229_160708.jpg

Back
Top Bottom