Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Down to 11 chicks 😭. One of the paints was crushed to death overnight by the adults.

Wondering if this should be my cue to separate mom and babies (at least at night so the other adults can’t get to them)?

If you have other adults who aren't very mindful it might be best.

I thankfully haven't had that issue. Just chicks strangled by fluff rarely.

If you have other adults who aren't very mindful it might be best.

I thankfully haven't had that issue. Just chicks strangled by fluff rarely.
The one roo is pretty aggressive when establishing his place in the cuddle puddle.

I put mom and chicks in a wire crate within the coop. She’s not thrilled about it but I’ll see how that goes for now before separating entirely.

I’ve got a question for you all….. our eggs are to pip today n hatch tomorrow…. 🙏🏼 we have our favorite hen kiwi who we placed eggs to yest in hopes she becomes broody (I know a little late ) she’s the most amazing mama hen…. but do hens need time to set chemically if so how long? Can it be only two days? We were going to hatch the eggs and place them at nite under her for her to adopt them. We have done this before but of course not this quickly. Thoughts? She’s been sitting on 8 fake eggs since yest afternoon she ran to them n sat! Like I said best hen ever but I am just curious they don’t know timing do they ????

Last edited:
I’ve got a question for you all….. our eggs are to pip today n hatch tomorrow…. 🙏🏼 we have our favorite hen kiwi who we placed eggs to yest in hopes she becomes broody (I know a little late ) she’s the most amazing mama hen…. but do hens need time to set chemically if so how long? Can it be only two days? We were going to hatch the eggs and place them at nite under her for her to adopt them. We have done this before but of course not this quickly. Thoughts? She’s been sitting on 8 fake eggs since yest afternoon she ran to them n sat! Like I said best hen ever but I am just curious they don’t know timing do they ????

I usually wait 5 days. I have a few who will take chicks at that point. Some wont until they have sat for two weeks.

I usually wait 5 days. I have a few who will take chicks at that point. Some wont until they have sat for two weeks.
Yes kiwi won’t take chicks after 3 days but my hope is she just continues to sit on these fake eggs n become broody ! she’s still sitting as of today n we don’t have any Pips yet so really hoping she stays put because I want her to raise and integrate them. I will give her them within a day or two of hatch leaving fake eggs under her n I guess we will see what happens. We do have brooder ready incase and I split eggs into two incubators.(13 total)

We also have the sweetest silky rooster injures in the house right now so it’s a bit crazy hahahahaha one of our silky mixes cookies n cream attacked him ; ( we have to prob get rid of him because the other three Roos get along just fine and he seems to be wanting to be alone. It’s too bad because he is so pretty!

So our chicks are hatching!!! And kiwi girl has been steady laying on fake eggs outside ❤️so imma sneak some under her either tonight or tomorrow; ) we have three so far but does this one look strange like it could be not positioned correctly? It’s not a silky it’s an Ee and Obviously imma leave it because it’s only been since lastnight it pip. And there are 4 other eggs in the incubator with two hatched chicks. I haven’t touched it or opened the container I just think it looks a bit off to me….. what do you all think?

Attachments

• IMG_5246.jpeg
    IMG_5246.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5245.jpeg
    IMG_5245.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom