Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
IMG_5053.jpeg

The girl in front is the smallest daintiest one. She reminds me of a quail
IMG_5045.jpeg

View attachment 3815470
The girl in front is the smallest daintiest one. She reminds me of a quail

And her sister View attachment 3815463

View attachment 3815466View attachment 3815469

I don’t know if you can tell, but the boy in the last photos toes look strange. The extra are spread out on one foot and pressed together on the other.

Looks a bit duck footed on the raised foot. It does happen sometimes

Would anyone know how/if you can tell if a Silver partridge hen is also blue? I have a couple of what look like splash chicks but my splash roo is only in with a Black hen and a Silver hen.
I suppose there's the chance they're actually paint as I did have a white rooster in there too, but all eggs I'd tried hatching from him before these were infertile.

Those are beardless silkies. I have some.
Thanks! I google beardless silkies and got to see some different looking ones. I found some “broiler silkies” too that were less fluffy feathered than most.
I wouldn’t mind having some silkies, but I’d like them to be able to see predators and I think the big crest would get in way of that.

Thanks! I google beardless silkies and got to see some different looking ones. I found some “broiler silkies” too that were less fluffy feathered than most.
I wouldn’t mind having some silkies, but I’d like them to be able to see predators and I think the big crest would get in way of that.

It does get in the way. That's part of why my silkies don't get true free ranging. Just have a very big courtyard that their pens open out into.

I separate them if they are actually hurting. They can go from getting along to having their crest pulled out in one day. I had that issue with some this year. 2 and 3 year old roosters who'd gotten along just fine since the younger hatched. Younger one was the better rooster and I didn't have space so just culled one.
i think I’m approaching the separate stage, but I’ve never done this with rooster before.

Can I separate the bully roo for a few days and then reintroduce him to reestablish the pecking order, like I would do if I had a bully hen? Or will roosters just fight more after reintroduction?

I’m not against culling (they’re both pet quality so wouldn’t be easy to rehome) but I’d really rather not if it can be avoided by a time out lol.

i think I’m approaching the separate stage, but I’ve never done this with rooster before.

Can I separate the bully roo for a few days and then reintroduce him to reestablish the pecking order, like I would do if I had a bully hen? Or will roosters just fight more after reintroduction?

I’m not against culling (they’re both pet quality so wouldn’t be easy to rehome) but I’d really rather not if it can be avoided by a time out lol.
I'm not sure what I did will help you. I have like 5 roosters with my nearly full time free range flock. When one is being an a** hat I do separate. He gets his own front row seat to everyone's freedom for about a week. The flock can come visit at the bars of his coop if they want. Then he gets to be with them again under supervision for the next few days. If the fights are normal skirmishes I leave them be if not I cull the instigator.

I only do this if it's a constant issue and one of them is hounding the other. The little skirmishes are fine and will happen. In fact if one of the subordinate roosters challenges a person my head rooster will intervene when I call for him. I haven't had any bullying issues in a long while tho.

No silkies in the flock yet either.

No. They will attack each other if they've been separated in my experience. Unless they are very bonded best friends which is rare.

Back
Top Bottom