Silkies with bald spots on top of head

Ponypoor

Professional Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
May 23, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
I have these two chicks, one is a Polish x Silkie (likely a pullet), and the other a pure Silkie.

Both have a bald spot on top of their head with no feathers growing in. This isn’t a case of other pecking them, they have just gone bald.

Both were born with baby fuzzies and as they got their feathers in the bald spot appeared. The Polish/Silkie is 6 weeks old and getting a nice crown of feathers, with a lovely bald spot in the middle 😳

The Silkie is 4 weeks and has a bald spot.

Is this a Silkie trait? I have never seen this.

This is the Polish/Silkie the far right chick - I grabbed this pic a while back when they were sleeping (ya they are weird) you can see her bald spot.

And a day time pic.

73948B34-185D-4E9D-9D48-CB921489F8F4.png
24BC4B73-5015-4904-BDA0-2C09DA201231.jpeg

Can you look closely and see if you see and mites or lice on the skin ?
No one has any lice or mites, these are for all intents and purposes circular bald spots right on the top of their heads.

Tonight I cuddled Martina and had a close look at her spot to see if she had any feathers coming in but nope nothing, bald and smooth.

The pure silkie is the same, smooth bald spot.

I am wondering if this is some Silkie trait that I am unaware of. I have 14 other Polish cross chicks and none of them have any bald spots on their crowns.

It is not a Silkie trait but Silkies do have a "vaulted" skull which makes pecking to the head a bit alarming. You say it's not pecking, how sure are you? Polish expecially get their head feathers picked at but others, haven't heard too much about Silkies. You won't see anything until the new pin feathers come in but if pecking continues you won't see anything.

It is not a Silkie trait but Silkies do have a "vaulted" skull which makes pecking to the head a bit alarming. You say it's not pecking, how sure are you? Polish expecially get their head feathers picked at but others, haven't heard too much about Silkies. You won't see anything until the new pin feathers come in but if pecking continues you won't see anything.
Nope no pecking, my office is in the barn so I am there from morning till I head to bed, they have the whole barn with all the stalls and the 16x90’ run outside to play in. Lots of places to get away, this is a perfect round bald spot right in the middle of her coiffe which has grown in magnificently. Same with the pure silkie, but none of the other Polish cross have that.

They both had the perfect baby fuzzies but once they started to get feathers the bald spot appeared.

Those three chicks are very vocal about anyone touching them. “Mom he touched me MOOOOOM”.

(I have the 3, 7 week olds and 10, 3.5 weeks old chicks all claiming me as mom)

This is the silkie she had her normal chick fuzzies, now she is getting her silkie fluff

00CE8700-4886-4A57-AE79-AA069AECC812.jpeg
3950343B-D5D6-49ED-BB6E-708AD1A2AE94.jpeg

I need to get a pic of her bald spot (I keep
Calling her her its a hope it’s a he so o can keep)

Back
Top Bottom