Silky Chicken Laying Everyday

mmjisawesome

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Southern States
My Silky, "Star" has been laying everyday. Star started laying 9/23/12 and lately has been laying pretty much every single day, and I know that its her laying them because I see her do it everyday. The eggs that she gives me are very normal, so far no any odd shapes or marks. She is eating layer feed, and oyster shells were offered a week ago. I have read that silkys only lay about 1 egg every week, so I am concerned. Thankyou, any information is appreciated!!

Last edited:
I have two silkie hens and they lay better than orpingtons. I have gotten 2 eggs a day since they started laying, with maybe a day here or there that they didn't lay. But never a day that I've gotten nothing from either. I was told the same thing about silkies, that they're not the best the chicken to raise for eggs. They've been providing twice the amount of eggs than my orpingtons.

I would say congrats! Congrats on your eggs! Mine has not laid yet today and its 6:30! But yesterday Yeti gave me some at 4:00 so maybe she is just weird lolz.
hu.gif
roll.png

I knew this thread is very old but I notice that my only silkie hens are also laying almost everyday (contrary to what I read online 3times/week) since I moved them to a bigger coop. Egg sizes range and a few different shapes are also produces *some are elongated while some a little rounded). Colors somehow range from cream-ish to pink-ish contrary to what I see online which is white-ish. I noticed one of them laid twice on a single day (and on a single sitting). I got four new eggs in that day while they are just three hens (I mark eggs once they are laid so I know they are new). I mix chick feeds on their normal feed.

The only problem is I never see them getting broody. I just made three nests before I had only two. The new nests contains 7 eggs each already so I wonder if they will still get broody considering that some eggs are two weeks old already.

I have 2 silkies, 1 laid about 4 or 5 eggs in a week and then stopped completely, its been over a week now, (she lost a lot of feathers all at once and now seems to be growing new ones so I am guessing molt?) The other silkie laid an egg every single day for about 10-12 days and now hasn't laid at all for 4 days.

I guess I don't have any questions, just adding in my observations ;)

I'm having the same problem with my Black Austrolop, she started laying, laid 4 or 5 days then quit, she seems healthy, is behaving normally, we went out of town for 4 days at the time she stopped laying, ( I think she got mad ) we've been back home a week now, still no eggs

Back
Top Bottom