Hennyfromdblock

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
Hi everyone! New member here, can’t wait to hear everyone’s feedback. I noticed today that my Buff Silkie roo has bumps/warts on his comb, around his eyes and on his beautiful blue lobes. My little one says his brother is pecking at him but it looks a little worse than pecking to me. His brother is the same age as him but is a bit more advanced (crowing/mating)I have heard about infections/bacteria spread from flies and mosquitoes so I’m not so sure it’s only pecking. Also I’ve noticed he shakes his head like he’s trying to shake something off. There’s some bloody scabs, some yellow and scabby but no visible puss/leaks. Any suggestions? Thank you!

1C4A3216-6ADE-49A7-927A-3E37DAF15ADB.jpeg
31A8FE1F-0E35-4312-A3B0-C5B77E3BB52A.jpeg
648E4C3B-45E4-4165-A898-118F166E879B.jpeg

Last edited:
im not too talented about this but my guess is its just some minor injuries ?????? dont take my word im not a pro @cherrynberry @JustBabyMargo could it be fowl pox?
Thank you, my 6 year old may be right then lol what worries me is the lumps around his eyes. I know roosters are aggressive towards each other but I can’t imagine them pecking at their eyes (not saying it doesn’t happen).

If you have active mosquitoes, it wouldn't be an unreasonable guess that it's fowl pox, probably the dry kind. If it's fighting injuries, I would treat them as I would pox, with Blu-kote dabbed on each lesion with a Q-tip. It will help protect and dry up any lesions and get him healed faster.

I'd remove him from the flock during treatment too, unless you can be there to supervise all the interactions that are going on and stop trouble if it starts.

Treatment of wounds from another bird(s), if that's what they are, will take significantly longer if he's exposed to ongoing assaults...

Back
Top Bottom