Silo chicken coop

This is brilliant. We are new to a piece of land that already had a grain silo much like yours on it. We decided to get chickens so we thought to use what we already had and fix up the silo to become our coop. Unfortunately, our silo is in much worse shape than the one you have. We've poured a lot of time and money into fixing it up, and I was getting pretty discouraged until I saw your post. What an inspiration. Since this is our first time making a coop of any kind, we would be so happy if you could give us a couple of your thoughts:

1. What are the two PVC apparatuses for? I assume food and water? How would they work?

2. Were you planning on treating or painting the insides/rusted spots to make it easier to clean in the future? I'm thinking we will need to hose down the insides on occasion. Our inside of the silo is pretty pitted and heavily rusted with some big gaps in seams. Should we be worried about bugs/mites settling in there and hurting our chickens?

3. Why is the doorway from your run into the coop raised so far off the ground?

4. How did you make the fold? Is it movable enough to batten down for rainstorms or would it requirechanxial

Back
Top Bottom