Silver Laced Cochin Roo or Hen??

Vangeek

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi I am a new member to this site. I have had chickens for the last 2 years, usually buying pullets but last August I had a broody hen and decided to try hatching my own chicks. My lovely hen managed to hatch 2 sweet baby silver laced Cochins who we have always thought were female. They are now 6 months old and one has started being a little bit dominant to all my other hens pecking at the back of their necks, and today I came out to find it was trying mount one of my other chickens! It has never crowed but I am starting to think that maybe it could be a roo? Can anybody advise?

Well, some hens will mount other hens in a dominance thing, but usually not a young hen of this age.

That tidbit aside, this bird is all male. Cochins are slower to develop, they can take a good year to mature.

Well....here are a few pics of 2 of our new what we first thought were supposed to be Silver Laced Wyandotte but come to find out they are Silver Laced Cochins.

Yes, that is no doubt a rooster. My bantam hen barely has a comb and it's very pink. The large, deep red comb and wattles, as well as the yellow feathers signal a roo. A hen would have much more lacing than that.

Back
Top Bottom