Hello! Most SLO’s in my area have come from the same breeder, which has resulted in a weakened genetic line over time. I’ve recently been thinking about how to strengthen the genetic line of SLO’s, which I understand is usually done through crossing different lines. So here’s my question: Could I cross a SLO rooster with a SLW hen to introduce new genes into the gene pool without losing the lacing? What about comb types, body types, and leg color? Would another cross be a better route?

Thanks in advance for your help

I defer to Moonshiner's recommendation for lacing.

However, I would not take a Wyandotte to breed over an Orpington.

Rosecomb is DOMINANT and would be very hard to breed out once you introduced it. You could get some nice lacing but that rosecomb would be hard to get rid of as it only takes one rosecomb gene to present.

Orpingtons are single combed which means NO rosecomb or peacomb genes...so basically absence of modifiers.

You'd have to breed tons of birds to finally find a rosecomb Wyandotte that only had 1 rosecomb gene that finally matched a single combed gene parent to finally produce 50% single and 50% rose....see what I mean?

In normal Wyandotte lines, single comb crops up from time to time as a throw back, but you'd have to start with a single comb bird to be sure you aren't creating a rosecomb headache.

I also agree with the difference of white flesh vs. yellow. Leg color has been my nemisis. Lacing, I can improve, but the dang legs will be off even with breeding the right parents half the time. A lot is still not understood about leg color genetics, in my opinion, so you really want to stay clean as possible.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Ooh! Do you have pics of your silver laced orpingtons?

If you mean me...LofMc...I'm working with Gold Laced Barnvelder..predominantly for color for olive eggers...but also looking at getting some nice lacing...which I've managed to do for F1 and F2, though I am seeing some loss in F3....so I'll be watching the taking back to black thread to see how to improve that.

LofMc

If you mean me...LofMc...I'm working with Gold Laced Barnvelder..predominantly for color for olive eggers...but also looking at getting some nice lacing...which I've managed to do for F1 and F2, though I am seeing some loss in F3....so I'll be watching the taking back to black thread to see how to improve that.

LofMc
I think they are talking to the OP

I defer to Moonshiner's recommendation for lacing.

However, I would not take a Wyandotte to breed over an Orpington.

Rosecomb is DOMINANT and would be very hard to breed out once you introduced it. You could get some nice lacing but that rosecomb would be hard to get rid of as it only takes one rosecomb gene to present.

Orpingtons are single combed which means NO rosecomb or peacomb genes...so basically absence of modifiers.

You'd have to breed tons of birds to finally find a rosecomb Wyandotte that only had 1 rosecomb gene that finally matched a single combed gene parent to finally produce 50% single and 50% rose....see what I mean?

In normal Wyandotte lines, single comb crops up from time to time as a throw back, but you'd have to start with a single comb bird to be sure you aren't creating a rosecomb headache.

I also agree with the difference of white flesh vs. yellow. Leg color has been my nemisis. Lacing, I can improve, but the dang legs will be off even with breeding the right parents half the time. A lot is still not understood about leg color genetics, in my opinion, so you really want to stay clean as possible.

My thoughts.
LofMc
That’s great advice @Lady of McCamley! I see what you mean about potential issues with the comb... I’m learning so much about chicken genetics.

The comb would be easier to breed out than the yellow skin.

First generation crosses would have all rose comb
Breed to pure orp and 50% of the offspring will have a single comb, use only those in breeding.

It would be much harder to ensure you had two copies of white skin since white skin is dominant.

Ooh! Do you have pics of your silver laced orpingtons?
Not many, but here’s a few and they’re not that great... chickens are surprisingly hard to take good pics of! Lololol!

Please excuse the messy chicken yard, my LGD’s curiosity got the better of him... shortly after, I got the better of my LGD, lololol!

9AF31AF0-ACD3-4848-9F3F-1FA36F750F5B.jpeg
E96F6B6B-5EE7-40C9-BCD5-FE80A514E09D.jpeg
EE24D1FE-AFEB-491C-888B-916E37F1D529.jpeg
CBDA0FC7-74B6-4061-8A60-424C88451968.jpeg

The comb would be easier to breed out than the yellow skin.

First generation crosses would have all rose comb
Breed to pure orp and 50% of the offspring will have a single comb, use only those in breeding.

It would be much harder to ensure you had two copies of white skin since white skin is dominant.
Hmmm... good food for thought!

Back
Top Bottom