Silver Laced Orpingtons (LF)

Pics
Well I went and asked the most professional Silver Laced Orpington Breeder I know! Keith Gibbons. I have great news! He said that to get more genetics in the Silver pool so they aren't as in-breed put a Silver Laced Roo over Gold Laced Hens! He said since the Silver Laced Gene is dominant all the Rooster from the Silver/Golden mix will be gold DONT USE! These are barnyard mix basically! He said that the hens will be Pure Silver! He said you can breed those back to the silver Roo to get more genetics!

This may sound like a good idea...but any time you introduce a Gold Laced into your breeding program, this does not work in the long term. You will find that after just a couple of generations. The Gold Laced will surface. You will have to wait and watch each offspring mature because sometimes these gold feathers will pop up later as the chicken matures. Once the Gold Laced is introduced into your breeding program, you will find and see not all off springs are what are true Silver Laced in color. Once again, all Silver Laced should only be mated with what is called "Pure Silvers" these are Silver Laced that have been bred from only Silvers to Silvers. It is not recommended to ever breed Silver Laced and Gold Laced together. This comes from the master breeder Bob Follows himself. I personally have tried crossing the Golds and Silvers and it is true you do get "some" that are Silver laced but when breeding these back to Silver Laced you will find that not all offspring's will not be "true Silvers"...these gold feathers will surface as the chicken matures. I'm not saying you never get "True Pure Silver Laced" but you must wait until the chicken matures to see if these true Silver Laced does not carry any gold laced coloring genes. This takes many, many dedicated breeders to ensure that these are true Silvers..this can take 5 generations of select breeding. Best of luck....I've spent years researching this from England to different parts of Europe with the same results...

This may sound like a good idea...but any time you introduce a Gold Laced into your breeding program, this does not work in the long term. You will find that after just a couple of generations. The Gold Laced will surface. You will have to wait and watch each offspring mature because sometimes these gold feathers will pop up later as the chicken matures. Once the Gold Laced is introduced into your breeding program, you will find and see not all off springs are what are true Silver Laced in color. Once again, all Silver Laced should only be mated with what is called "Pure Silvers" these are Silver Laced that have been bred from only Silvers to Silvers. It is not recommended to ever breed Silver Laced and Gold Laced together. This comes from the master breeder Bob Follows himself. I personally have tried crossing the Golds and Silvers and it is true you do get "some" that are Silver laced but when breeding these back to Silver Laced you will find that not all offspring's will not be "true Silvers"...these gold feathers will surface as the chicken matures. I'm not saying you never get "True Pure Silver Laced" but you must wait until the chicken matures to see if these true Silver Laced does not carry any gold laced coloring genes. This takes many, many dedicated breeders to ensure that these are true Silvers..this can take 5 generations of select breeding. Best of luck....I've spent years researching this from England to different parts of Europe with the same results...
Isn't gold/silver sex linked?
Hens only get one gene either silver or gold and get it from their fathers?
He can breed a silver laced rooster to gold laced hens and produce silver laced pullets.
They only get one gene and it would be silver so they are pure silver. When bred back to roosters with two silver genes they should never have gold pop up. Where would it come from?
Crossing silver and gold does produce cockerels carrying silver and gold and as he said those should not be used.
It is true they mostly look silver and a goldish color usually comes in a little later but if you know what your breeding you know you're producing these and not use them in your program because of course gold would pop up when using a rooster that carries one gene for gold.

Isn't gold/silver sex linked?
Hens only get one gene either silver or gold and get it from their fathers?
He can breed a silver laced rooster to gold laced hens and produce silver laced pullets.
They only get one gene and it would be silver so they are pure silver. When bred back to roosters with two silver genes they should never have gold pop up. Where would it come from?
Crossing silver and gold does produce cockerels carrying silver and gold and as he said those should not be used.
It is true they mostly look silver and a goldish color usually comes in a little later but if you know what your breeding you know you're producing these and not use them in your program because of course gold leakage would pop up when using a rooster that carries one gene for gold.

Appreciate your information, I'm very aware of this....I'm making this statement because after living and judging many Orpingtons in Europe, I want to make this perfectly clear that just because you cross golds and silver that you will never see any gold leakage. As Bob Follows has mentioned you are opening a can a worm when crossing golds and silvers together. My point was for the American people to be very careful since this should only be done by breeders that keep accurate records in doing so. My emails are full of people asking why when they have crossed silvers together and only a few have been true silvers. Let me state this even the Silvers that a appear to be "True Silvers" only to find out after two generations the "Gold Leakage" does appear. Just want to warn others that breeding Silvers and Golds are not as simple as it seems. I only want more breeders to be aware...one must always hand pick there breeders once they mature. I've been involved with breeding the English Orpington long before they set foot on our American soil and breeding in Europe. Let me state this...my concern is only to give accurate information...since I care what becomes of our beautiful chickens. So many breeders here in the US have been giving incorrect information about breeding the English Orp. I like to feel I do my best to be someone breeders can trust, Why not take your Silver Laced hen and cross her with a beautiful English Black? this is the best way to breed a "True Silver Laced and you will never have to deal with Gold leakage..this is how I breed my Silver laced...perhaps others can take this advice! best of luck to you and you feathered friends!

Pure English Silver Laced Orpington, England...Owned by Autumn Farm Orpingtons.
Approved by Mr. Bob Follows as a excellent breeding rooster. As noted Skip's wings are correct, they are swept back against the body, not point down towards the ground, Wings placement should be held against the body and swept back...not hanging pointing straight down towards the ground.
"SKIP"

3-26-15 skip 017 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Appreciate your information, I'm very aware of this....I'm making this statement because after living and judging many Orpingtons in Europe, I want to make this perfectly clear that just because you cross golds and silver that you will never see any gold leakage. As Bob Follows has mentioned you are opening a can a worm when crossing golds and silvers together. My point was for the American people to be very careful since this should only be done by breeders that keep accurate records in doing so. My emails are full of people asking why when they have crossed silvers together and only a few have been true silvers. Let me state this even the Silvers that a appear to be "True Silvers" only to find out after two generations the "Gold Leakage" does appear. Just want to warn others that breeding Silvers and Golds are not as simple as it seems. I only want more breeders to be aware...one must always hand pick there breeders once they mature. I've been involved with breeding the English Orpington long before they set foot on our American soil and breeding in Europe. Let me state this...my concern is only to give accurate information...since I care what becomes of our beautiful chickens. So many breeders here in the US have been giving incorrect information about breeding the English Orp. I like to feel I do my best to be someone breeders can trust, Why not take your Silver Laced hen and cross her with a beautiful English Black? this is the best way to breed a "True Silver Laced and you will never have to deal with Gold leakage..this is how I breed my Silver laced...perhaps others can take this advice! best of luck to you and you feathered friends!
I couldn't agree less.
Then again I'm finding that to be the case just about every time you post about genetics.

Pure English Silver Laced Orpington, England...Owned by Autumn Farm Orpingtons.
Approved by Mr. Bob Follows as a excellent breeding rooster. As noted Skip's wings are correct, they are swept back against the body, not point down towards the ground, Wings placement should be held against the body and swept back...not hanging pointing straight down towards the ground.
"SKIP"

Sounds like you have a personal agenda against breeding the correct way of creating the True Pure English Silver Laced Orpington...my knowledge comes from many years (40 plus years) of experience of breeding the English Orpington in England and has been passed down this knowledge to me by breeders from Germany and England. Hope this clears up incorrect breeding practice. Best of luck to all the dedicated English Orpington breeders.

I couldn't agree less.
Then again I'm finding that to be the case just about every time you post about genetics.

Well I went and asked the most professional Silver Laced Orpington Breeder I know! Keith Gibbons. I have great news! He said that to get more genetics in the Silver pool so they aren't as in-breed put a Silver Laced Roo over Gold Laced Hens! He said since the Silver Laced Gene is dominant all the Rooster from the Silver/Golden mix will be gold DONT USE! These are barnyard mix basically! He said that the hens will be Pure Silver! He said you can breed those back to the silver Roo to get more genetics!

Back
Top Bottom