Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Pics
I bought 25 silverlaced chicks at a feed mill and as you said the males all had silver shoulders and ended up being roosters, So sexing at day one can be done with a keen eye,
thumbsup.gif

I am wondering if these same signs apply for Blue laced red wyandotes as well?? That would be great to know. I have 6 BLRW that are 3 weeks old and the one I believe is a boy has the downy back with the thin line os stub feathers on his back. The rest are fully feathered. But there are a couple others I believe to be boys also. To me they all look a little pinkish on their combs and wattles. I will have to look again.!

Any help sexing my two SLWs? I realize it's not a great shot of them, but not sure if you can tell just by their feathers and coloring.

Brought home one SLW yesterday from our feed store. They say they only order pullets, which I believe since they get only about 5% mistakenly end up being males.
Hoping to all hell this little one is indeed gonna be a girl. She is just unbelievably sweet and curious.
Our last batch of chicks ended up being all genetically ruined, so we really need our new ones to be hens.

I posted these pics the other day in the 'What Breed or Gender Am I' thread, didn't realize there was a SLW sexing thread. Both of my chicks are almost 10 weeks old and I have some concerns about Chick One because she's got big wattles and is getting red in the comb and wattles, and Chick Two because of the white on her wings. Someone pointed out that her neck feathers appear pointy as well. I've never had SLWs, but my Columbian Wyandottes didn't get red in the comb/wattles until they were at least 3-4 months old.

I bought them from a feed store which obtained them from a hatchery. I've read on BYC that hatchery stock can develop differently than breeder stock, so I hope that's what's going on here. I appreciate any thoughts on these two.

Chick One:

Chick Two:

I have 2 SLW that I purchased as straight run from the local feed store. I'm curious about the sex. They are different from each other.

Though one of the four is clearly not like to others the lack of combs is making sexing very difficult so mine are still a mystery at 8 weeks!

One thing I do remember about my SLW is that both of my Males got their crowns, and beards way before the girls. it seems the girls are slower in that area.I hope that helps some..

Back
Top Bottom