Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Pics
Two cockerels for sure. I'm undecided on the rose comb one but leaning toward pullet. They are usually able to be sexed at 6-8 weeks by the size and color of the comb and wattles.

Any thoughts on my little "lady"? She's definitely got some attitude.

I am having the same "issue" with one of my SLW that is 9 weeks old now, looks just like your first photo - we currently call her Bruce. I have asked the farm and they have told me it is too soon to tell. I have also been told that I might have a non-standard comb pullet. I would not assume they are roosters yet. SLW are hard to sex, especially when you get chickens from a large farm and they may not be pure SLW.

I am having the same "issue" with one of my SLW that is 9 weeks old now, looks just like your first photo - we currently call her Bruce. I have asked the farm and they have told me it is too soon to tell. I have also been told that I might have a non-standard comb pullet. I would not assume they are roosters yet. SLW are hard to sex, especially when you get chickens from a large farm and they may not be pure SLW.

Any thoughts on my little "lady"? She's definitely got some attitude.

Too young to tell. Post some more photos at about 6-8 weeks old. Your chick isn't looking particularly masculine though. :)

9 weeks should be old enough to tell the difference. Post a few photos and I'd be happy to give my opinion. It would be helpful to see a photos that show the color and size of comb and wattles, a full body photo from the side and a photo from above showing the feathers on the back. :)

9-weeks old Silver Laced Wyandotte; unsure of the sex. I've been told a pullet with a non-standard comb. I don't see any difference in feathers compared to my other two.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7386070/width/200/height/400[/IMG

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7386072/width/200/height/400

9-weeks old Silver Laced Wyandotte; unsure of the sex. I've been told a pullet with a non-standard comb. I don't see any difference in feathers compared to my other two.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7386070/width/200/height/400[/IMG

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7386072/width/200/height/400

He's a cockerel for sure.

SLW CHICK FEATHER DEVELOPMENT, Is this normal?....

Hello!

I have 6 chicks and one is a SLW and she is developing her feathers at a weird pace. I'm a new chicken mom and I'm not sure if this is normal for this breed or not. I have an Araucana that's pretty much the same age (3 day difference). But my Araucana is much more feathered than my SLW. I also have younger chicks of different breeds by a week or so and they are a little more developed in their feathers too

My SLW (named Wanona) hatched 4/4/16 and I have some pics with the Araucana (Edna) for comparison

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

this is Wanona

This is Edna

SLW CHICK FEATHER DEVELOPMENT, Is this normal?....

Hello!

I have 6 chicks and one is a SLW and she is developing her feathers at a weird pace. I'm a new chicken mom and I'm not sure if this is normal for this breed or not. I have an Araucana that's pretty much the same age (3 day difference). But my Araucana is much more feathered than my SLW. I also have younger chicks of different breeds by a week or so and they are a little more developed in their feathers too

My SLW (named Wanona) hatched 4/4/16 and I have some pics with the Araucana (Edna) for comparison

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Different breeds of chicks (and even different chicks within the same breed and variety) will often feather out at different rates. Yours are both well within the range of normal. I have Wyandotte chicks that hatched about a week before yours and they had about the same amount of feathering as Wanona last week, so she seems right on track to me. She will be looking less bald and goofy by next week. Gotta love that awkward phase they go through! :)

Back
Top Bottom