Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Pics
I am questioning my two Silver Laced Wyandottes. They were hatched from Murray McMurray eggs if that helps. I have them as part of a mixed flock and I *thought* one was a hen and one was a roo, but now they seem to have the same coloring and I thought they were suppose to look more different. Also, they don't appear to have "lacing" like I expected, is it just too early or are they just not well laced?

Thanks!!

I am questioning my two Silver Laced Wyandottes. They were hatched from Murray McMurray eggs if that helps. I have them as part of a mixed flock and I *thought* one was a hen and one was a roo, but now they seem to have the same coloring and I thought they were suppose to look more different. Also, they don't appear to have "lacing" like I expected, is it just too early or are they just not well laced?

Thanks!!

My two hens look just like this at that age; their lacing came in later that I thought (now 10 weeks).

It looks like you have a pair. Their lacing may improve a bit as they get older but I suspect they will have some incomplete lacing

That's what we've been thinking! Dotty has had some red to the comb since about 2 weeks. Unfortunately, stripey had a single comb so harder to compare.

My two hens look just like this at that age; their lacing came in later that I thought (now 10 weeks). 

Interesting! Were they from McMurray by chance? The lacing is just not defined well at all which makes it harder to compare to pictures of the pullets and cockerels. Do you have a picture of your hens?

That's what we've been thinking! Dotty has had some red to the comb since about 2 weeks. Unfortunately, stripey had a single comb so harder to compare.
Interesting! Were they from McMurray by chance? The lacing is just not defined well at all which makes it harder to compare to pictures of the pullets and cockerels. Do you have a picture of your hens?
They came from Hoover Hatchery, I actually have two hens and one roo. My roo (pictures above) has a distinct single comb. The comb on Dotty is arose combs and look just like my hen. I can't see the comb on Stripey.

They came from Hoover Hatchery, I actually have two hens and one roo. My roo (pictures above) has a distinct single comb. The comb on Dotty is arose combs and look just like my hen. I can't see the comb on Stripey.

I see what you mean! Your fella has quite a comb. Here's the best I have of stripeys comb.

I see what you mean! Your fella has quite a comb. Here's the best I have of stripeys comb.
IF you go back a few pages; you can see my roo at 4-weeks old. It was definitely not a rose comb. I hate to say it but Stripey does look like a roo (per the single comb)

IF you go back a few pages; you can see my roo at 4-weeks old. It was definitely not a rose comb. I hate to say it but Stripey does look like a roo (per the single comb)

Yes, Stripey has a single comb. However, I don't see anything in the new photo that makes me think that she's a cockerel. If anything, it makes me more confident that she's a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom