Silver Laced Wydonnette sexing - 2 weeks old - Is it Tina or Tony

jatempien

Hatching
Jan 12, 2016
Central Texas
This is our first time with chicks as our city just recently changed the rules for having backyard chickens.

We got 4 females from the feed store, each a different breed and they are developing wonderfully.

However, "Tina" (my son has already name them all) has us concerned because she hasn't developed any tail feathers yet like the other three.

Normally I wouldn't care if we got a rooster but the city law specifically doesn't allow roosters,
only hens.

Can I get some help to determine if Tina should be Tony so I can call the feed store and figure out what to do.

Its too early to tell, maybe another 2 or 3 weeks. Also, I don't think thats a SLW, it has a single comb SLW's should have a rose comb and the feathering doesn't look right, should be silver and black, not brown

Its too early to tell, maybe another 2 or 3 weeks. Also, I don't think thats a SLW, it has a single comb SLW's should have a rose comb and the feathering doesn't look right, should be silver and black, not brown

Agreed; they are definitely not Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks for the reasons that dan26552 stated. What color are the chick's legs?

I thought that too, but googling images of chicks seems to show the brown color as well. She may be a Golden rather than Silver, which is fine, but it just needs to be a "she" not a "he".

More pics below. She kept trying to lay down in my hands so I had to hold her with her legs handing down.

welcome-byc.gif

2 weeks is too young for accurate sexing, sorry. Try posting again around 5-6 weeks, we'll have a better idea then.

I agree the chick is not a Wyandotte of any color. my guess is something red, like a production red. We'll also know breed better when it feathers out.

I thought that too, but googling images of chicks seems to show the brown color as well. She may be a Golden rather than Silver, which is fine, but it just needs to be a "she" not a "he".

More pics below. She kept trying to lay down in my hands so I had to hold her with her legs handing down.

welcome-byc.gif

2 weeks is too young for accurate sexing, sorry. Try posting again around 5-6 weeks, we'll have a better idea then.

I agree the chick is not a Wyandotte of any color. my guess is something red, like a production red. We'll also know breed better when it feathers out.
I agree with donrae. Definitely not a Wyandotte and given the yellow legs, it's likely some type of red gene bird (like a Production Red). I'll look forward to seeing its photo when it's fully feathered out.

Back
Top Bottom