simple pvc waterer has us stumped

Bigapes

Hatching
Mar 7, 2015
My husband and I are having a "duh" moment. All these pix of diy waterers led us to believe we could fill the entire pipe but alas only the trap holds the water without overflowing. Is there a trick we're missing. The laws of physics and common sense have made us feel pretty dumb today.

There has to be a vacuum or a closed system. If air can get in, all the water will flow out.
If using pvc, a nipple or drinker cup system is the way to go.

I read somewhere that they said to fill horizontal and then put a cap in the end before you turn it upright to create the vacuum- no idea if it works or not but that's what they said they did.

That's what I read as well, about the horizontal filling. I just couldn't picture it in my head. I'm not sure how they are doing it. If you figure it out, please let us know. I'm very interested.

There has to be a vacuum or a closed system. If air can get in, all the water will flow out.
If using pvc, a nipple or drinker cup system is the way to go.
I have to agree with ChickenCanoe on this.

My husband and I are having a "duh" moment. All these pix of diy waterers led us to believe we could fill the entire pipe but alas only the trap holds the water without overflowing. Is there a trick we're missing. The laws of physics and common sense have made us feel pretty dumb today.
While there are some great PVC waterers out there, here's a simple PVC waterer and gravity-feeder I made for our flock while we were gone on a 2wks family vacation. Luckily, came back and all chickens were accounted for, nobody cried fowl that they were dehydrated or starved.
yesss.gif
Dogs were also watered/fed to similar setup, except I think they whined a little when we got home.
hugs.gif

Anyhow, this is a picture of my test (demo) setup below, this setup has been modified to collect rain run-offs from the lean-to that's standing next to.

In the winter, I plan to move this setup inside the chicken coop and put an aquarium water-warmer in the bin so the chickens can drink. It's simple and mobile, within reach of a water-hose too.

Below is the gravity-feeder: (same 32 gallon bin).

For the openings, I use 3" PVC 90 degree elbows. I got the idea from Youtube but there are several great articles on this forum from our very own BYC'ers.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

Supplies list:
-PVC and adapter supplies: all from Lowe's (or any plumbing store).
-water nipples: from Ebay. (cheaper).
-32 gallon bins: from Wally.
*water bin: http://www.walmart.com/ip/17203827
Hope this helps someone .
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

----
I'm 80% done with my coop and having the exact same thought and problem. Any luck? Any plumbers out there? I like the large can idea, but was really looking for a design with 4 inch PVC pipe to hold water for a few days....

Thanks!

I have to agree with ChickenCanoe on this.

While there are some great PVC waterers out there, here's a simple PVC waterer and gravity-feeder I made for our flock while we were gone on a 2wks family vacation. Luckily, came back and all chickens were accounted for, nobody cried fowl that they were dehydrated or starved.
yesss.gif
Dogs were also watered/fed to similar setup, except I think they whined a little when we got home.
hugs.gif

Anyhow, this is a picture of my test (demo) setup below, this setup has been modified to collect rain run-offs from the lean-to that's standing next to.

In the winter, I plan to move this setup inside the chicken coop and put an aquarium water-warmer in the bin so the chickens can drink. It's simple and mobile, within reach of a water-hose too.

Below is the gravity-feeder: (same 32 gallon bin).

For the openings, I use 3" PVC 90 degree elbows. I got the idea from Youtube but there are several great articles on this forum from our very own BYC'ers.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

Supplies list:
-PVC and adapter supplies: all from Lowe's (or any plumbing store).
-water nipples: from Ebay. (cheaper).
-32 gallon bins: from Wally.
*water bin: http://www.walmart.com/ip/17203827
Hope this helps someone .
yippiechickie.gif

You said that you agree that the watering system has to be airtight, but you're using a trash bin from walmart...? How do you keep that airtight? It just seems like it wouldn't be able to be straight off the shelf. Did you have to do anything extra to keep it from draining the water?

The bottom picture is a feeder.
The top picture is a nipple system so it doesn't have to have a vacuum because each nipple has a seal to retain water until a chicken pecks it and then reseals.

Back
Top Bottom