Simplicity dress patterns

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
I am not familiar with making a pattern that fits sizes up to 16 to go into a PLUS size......any suggestions in how making the pattern fit a PLUS sized woman?

I remember my grandmother used to have newspaper for the outlines but not sure if this will work for the pattern itself. With all the darts and inseams and so forth, would you need to move it away from the center to even up the lines (ie. the busts...you dont want them squeezed together with the darts they tell you to sew!)

Its a civil war dress pattern!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2041676_alter-sewing-patterns.html

having
altered a lot of patterns, the link above is the method I USUALLY use. It is best to add the extra inches along the seam lines but sometimes you can get away with adding in the center, etc.

Biggest hint is to don't forget to alter ALL the pieces. For example, if you widen a bodice neckline, don't forget you'll need to do the same thing to the facing piece. If you widen an arm hole, you'll have to add some to the edges of the sleeve, etc.

Here are a site with other links

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa050999.htm

good luck!

Dont they make plus size patterns? Check Joann or Hancock fabric, they should have all the books. And on most patterns are lines drawn on that you can cut and expand the pattern or make it smaller.But there is only that much that you can do. It is is not only a matter of making it wider in general. You also have to consider that the upper arms or thigh area has to be altered. And with this i have no experiences. I usually have to shorten kids clothes and I myself am pretty much true to size though not the same size on top on bottom, since i gained a little weight I am a little bottom heavy.
Dont forget measure twice and cut twice.

Simplicity does have some patterns in plus sizes. In my experience Simplicity runs large anyway. Even using the measurements they give on the package I have to take them in at least one size. I'm sure it's the same for plus sizes.

As far as the sale at JoAnn's, my advice is to get there on the first day or the popular patterns will be gone. (Guess where I work, lolz)

simplicity patterns will run a little larger than butterick or McCalls. Vogue runs small.
I used to work at a piece goods store and Jo-Ann's in 2 different states

Thanks guys! It would be a challenge for me at best LOL!

I hate it when a fabric store takes out a section or shut the store down completely as if out of business or relocated in a town that is so inaccessible.

Back
Top Bottom