Single Bobwhite Quail

myhubbycallsmechickeemama

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Arco, ID
My DIL just received her order of chicks this morning and she had a single Bobwhite Quail in her order. Are they okay to keep as singles? If so, what would you put it in? OMG...it is so tiny!!!! I kinda want it but have never raise quail before, only chickens and turkeys. :)

Quail are pretty social creatures and do need companionship. But he is going to need his own brooder, feed and area to live in. You could pamper the heck out of him and keep him inside the house. LOL Make a pet out of him if he is going to be alone.

You can not keep him with chickens, they are much bigger and pose physical size and health issues that can kill quail. Quail need a high protein diet of 24% to 28% feed. If you have Turkey feed, that is perfect!!

You can not free range quail, so he will need a pen of some sort. One that is completely enclosed. A rabbit hutch makes a great home and is easy to maintain.

Make sure to offer up water in a tiny saucer or container until he grows a bit, they can drown in regular chicken waterers until they are larger in size.

Thank you for the information!! I just so happen to have an unused rabbit hutch. Maybe I'll have her bring him to me and I will take care of him!! :)

Guess I better do some reading up. Do you know any good websites to get more info on raising them besides here? I'm kind of an anal type person and have to know all the details prior to engulfing on something new!!

There is not a whole lot of information about raising quail out there and your best bet is here really. A lot of trial and error is usually the case for first time quail owners. LOL If you run into any snags, you can always post up a question here.

Good luck with your new tiny baby Bob!

You can keep quail on wire or a solid floor with litter. I keep my Bobs in an aviary with a grass hay or wood shavings on the floor. I have made a brush pile for them in the middle of the floor as they love to hide and sneak around. They are ground dwellers and live much of their natural lives under the brush in the wild. If you are using a rabbit hutch you can either use the wire floor that is provided, or if the wire floor is too big, you can replace it with 1/2 hardware cloth. My Bobs have a rabbit hutch they use for shelter and I spread grass hay inside instead of using wire. I am not fond of keeping them long term on wire, although many folks keep them this way their entire lives. So it is up to you.

You can put a cut branch/branches in with the bird so he feels protected and less exposed being that he is all alone. When he is old enough to dust bathe, you can put in a small tray with some dirt in it for bathing.

Of course, as I mentioned above, offer up either a gamebird food or turkey feed, something with 24% to 28% protein.

Bobwhites are not cuddly birds and are not as friendly as chickens, however being that he is all alone, he will most likely bond early on with you. Spend a ton of time handling him as a baby. At that age, they tolerate being handled. As he grows up and nears 8 weeks old, he will no longer tolerate you touching him at all. However all this attention will keep him tamer than the average Bobwhite. Hand feed him often and he will lose his fear of you. Most people will tell you Bobwhites are very skittish and panicky around humans, but I worked heavily with my Bobs as babies and they are extremely calm and friendly around me.

All this being said, you still need to be careful while working inside his cage as if he does panic and gets loose outside, you will never see him again. He will NOT come back by calling him, for a tray of goodies like a chicken or anything. So be careful.

You won't know if he is a male or female till about 14 to 16 weeks old when he will either develop a black and white mask or a two toned brown masked face.

Bobs love lettuces and greens, sugar snap peas are to die for, LOL, meal worms, hard boiled eggs, all sorts of seed or millet sprays, and sliced up fruits. (apples, nectarines, peaches...)

If this is a female, she will not need a nest box, as they will make a ground nest out of hay or if nothing is available, will lay them in the corner. She will not be laying til late fall, if she is indeed a female.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, you can always pm me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom