Single duck egg left, should I assist or let it die?

I don’t think you need to help yet. It’s a great sign it has 2 external pips. Hopefully it will start zipping soon. are both pips in the aircell?
Yes they are both in the air cell. I decided to help a little but stopped when a tiny bit of blood came out. It is yawning and chewing so I put it back in the incubator?

Attachments

• 20240429_103953.jpg
    20240429_103953.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 5
Those veins on the roof of the egg shell look very red to me but because ai didn't put any water or vaseline or coconut oil, I am fretting about the membranes drying out. Incubator humidity at 70%. Should I take it out and rub something on? Do I just wait? Will it hatch by itself from here or does is look malpositioned?

Attachments

• 20240429_113103.jpg
    20240429_113103.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 6
You should read the article on assisted hatching. This baby is still absorbing the yolk. Do not help at this point. Because you opened so much of the egg you will need to watch for shrink wrapping.

You should read the article on assisted hatching. This baby is still absorbing the yolk. Do not help at this point. Because you opened so much of the egg you will need to watch for shrink wrapping.
I read it and then quickly realised my mistake(s). I panicked because the other one quit after internal pip and I wished I had intervened. Is there anything specific you can advise me to look for at this point? Should I moisten those membranes? Should I just leave her to do her thing in the incubator until she pushes out of the shell?

I read it and then quickly realised my mistake(s). I panicked because the other one quit after internal pip and I wished I had intervened. Is there anything specific you can advise me to look for at this point? Should I moisten those membranes? Should I just leave her to do her thing in the incubator until she pushes out of the shell?
You can moisten the membrane with Vaseline or coconut oil. Is that the yolk I’m seeing? You want to make sure it doesn’t dry out. You can make an eggshell cap out of a hard boiled egg shell, put a safety hole in the cap, and put it over the opening you made.
Here’s a helpful article

She is out! Yay! She had a bit of gluey gunk on her back and wing so I bathed her in warm water, blow dried her a bit and put her back in the incubator to fluff. The brooder is warming up and has a teddy, a mirror and a feather duster in there. Let's see how she fares.

Back
Top Bottom