Sink hole

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
A sink hole appeared in the driveway last night and it's almost 2 feet deep, pretty impressive. It was just a giant crack that drained the puddle so we broke up the asphalt and it's hollow underneath, just a giant hole. They buried a stump. So we ordered 10 cubic yards of crushed asphalt that just got delivered and filled it in. It's only temporary and were going to find other hollow spots (there's tons of depressions) and break and fill those too. But before we filled it, the dog had a blast climbing down into the hole. Hahahaha I've got a bunch of pictures of the hole (both before ad after Gator's excavation work), Gator in the hole, the truck delivering the rocks, in process of filling it, after filling, etc. basically a lot of pictures of gator digging and progress pics that I will upload later. Now I'm changing and mailing something.

I think that sink holes are scary!!
ep.gif
I hope you don't find anymore. Stay safe. I can see how your dog would love it though.

Those are scary! There sure seems to be more of them recently...or at least more reporting of them. When they start swallowing home and cars, that's super scary.

Taking a look at the farmer's almanac.

We honestly need to stop depending so much time effort and money on advancing human laziness and figure out our planet by just leaving it alone and stop drilling into it to see what happens. Society is breaking up its natural defense of normalcies even talking about elneno elnina weather conditions and omg what do we do attitudes.

Hey I have shocking news flash maybe a revelation no is even discussing the so called scientific world who are supposed to be the smart people.

Quote me if you like.

We do not control how the galaxy functions or exists. Has anyone stopped to think that our hours of day or day of year that is so concrete to mankind is NOT the same calendar of the universe? Why don't we realize this and change the day and reset our "Year" to the seasonal change our earth is showing us it is? And maybe least before the next big shift of seasons or movement of earth's personal orbit changes again. People stop making conclusions human race knows nothing about just to try to collect a paycheck or Nobel prize just by being without common sense.

Thank you for taking a closer look at our farmer's almanac. And your support.

I saw a very interesting TV programme on the science of sink holes recently. Apparently, they happen in soil that has deposits of chalk. The lumps of chalk are eroded by the ever increasing concentration of acid rain, which we know is caused by atmospheric pollution. Because of all the heavy rain/snow we have had the soil has become waterlogged and it has been unable to drain away, therefore exposing the chalk to saturation in acid rain. According to scientists, it can take as little as 3 years to dissolve a lump of chalk as large as a bus! I think it's high time that clean air acts of parliament were rigourously enforced everywhere in the world!

I saw a very interesting TV programme on the science of sink holes recently. Apparently, they happen in soil that has deposits of chalk. The lumps of chalk are eroded by the ever increasing concentration of acid rain, which we know is caused by atmospheric pollution. Because of all the heavy rain/snow we have had the soil has become waterlogged and it has been unable to drain away, therefore exposing the chalk to saturation in acid rain. According to scientists, it can take as little as 3 years to dissolve a lump of chalk as large as a bus! I think it's high time that clean air acts of parliament were rigourously enforced everywhere in the world!
Look up how limestone formations cause sink holes, that is what the majority of sinkholes if Florida are caused. I believe it, here in my part of Indiana we are known for limestone for buildings (Washington monument, the pentegon) and we have sinkholes everywhere around here. also if a water main (or sewer main) breaks it can cause a sink hole, not very deep usually, but it causes one....

I totally missed all these replies lol sorry

It is very interesting though.

I guess what I meant is not so much a sinkhole like the things that swallow people but more a hollow spot. A crack appeared and the huge puddle that was there was gone overnight. We then broke up the driveway and there was a hole. And there's several holes.

We ordered gravel dill or whatever it is and filled the whole in. We've been planning for months to dig up the driveway and fill the rest, as we still have a huge pile.

Our driveway has also gotten lower and there's all these little ditches and hills - it'd very uneven.

We're pretty sure they buried stumps or even trees under the driveway, especially since we found a piece of solidified wood down there.

Under the driveway is also all clay so that allowed form it to be washed away and this hole to form.

But it is interesting

Back
Top Bottom