Coccidiosis or molting poop?

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
(I have posted a similar question before, just a new health issue?)
My 2.5 year old snowy easter egger just ended her molt, and grew back most of her feathers, however I have noticed her poop has been almost completely water for around 2-4 weeks. No blood in her poop as far as I can tell. She eats a lot like she has since she was a chick, and because of that her crop gets full very quickly in the afternoon. I observed that it drains by the morning.
Usually the poop is water with a tiny bit of fecal matter. I have noticed water spots in the sand of their sleeping roost as well, left by her. She is perfectly energized, drinks and eats, and is enthusiastic for treats like normal. No lethargy, comb is normal/a bit pale but all of my chicken's are - its cold and they aren't laying, clean bum. Could this poop be a sign of coccidiosis or is it a molting thing? Has anyone else had a chicken who had very watery stool after molts?
I'm going to deworm her soon, and the rest of my flock (4 chickens)
Here are some details:
  • Modesto Milling organic chicken feed w/ food grade diatomaceous earth
  • Fresh water but in a cup-watering system that fills when a tap is pushed by the chicken's beaks, gets dirty with food from their mouths so I clean it every other day
  • Grubs/seeds/vegetables daily
  • Large run space, not free-range, with dirt/rocks/roosts for entertainment
  • Run/roost cleaned daily
If anyone could help, it'll be very appreciated! This isn't a big concern atm, but i would like to prevent a large issue or potential illness that can spread to the other chickens. I can't provide pictures at the moment.

Does the feed come with the DE, or do you add it yourself. ??? if you are adding it,,,, STOP doing and things may clear up on their own.
Just because DE is food grade, does not mean it is a good supplement to add to chicken diet.
I use same, but as a thin layer at base of coop floor. It kills insects. Followed by a thicker layer of Sweet PDZ, and I top it off with hay. Sometimes I use pine shavings instead.
At that age,,, coccidiosis is not likely to be occurring.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Does the feed come with the DE, or do you add it yourself. ??? if you are adding it,,,, STOP doing and things may clear up on their own.
Just because DE is food grade, does not mean it is a good supplement to add to chicken diet.
I use same, but as a thin layer at base of coop floor. It kills insects. Followed by a thicker layer of Sweet PDZ, and I top it off with hay. Sometimes I use pine shavings instead.
At that age,,, coccidiosis is not likely to be occurring.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Hi, thank you for your response! The food did not come with DE, I just tried it out recently after she started having the watery stool. It seemed to come with no reason. I'll stop putting it in their feed. I'm glad she doesn't have coccidiosis since she's too old!

Back
Top Bottom