Six 15 week pullets crowding into nesting box to sleep!

elandry4

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Maine
I have six 15 week old pullets who have been all crowding into 1 or 2 nesting boxes in the coop at night! There is a perch long enough for all of them but when I out them on it they freak & jump off. Today they were free ranging in the yard & I found an egg in a little tucked in spot under a tree. First I thought they were too young but second how do I get them to lay & roost in the right spot?

We closed off our nesting boxes until they were old enough to lay. Make sure your roosts are also higher than your nesting boxes. That way they will sleep on the roosts. Good luck!

Take the birds out of the nests and put them on the roosts well after dark for a couple nights.
Then you can block the nests off for a couple nights, see if they go to the roost instead.
Then see how it goes...you'll have to help them learn this new habit that they to have....roost on the roost, lay in the nests - or you'll have poops on your eggs. It may take a couple weeks of dusk and after dark vigilance until they get the idea.

and yes, roosts should be higher than nests.

Back
Top Bottom