Six 9-week old chicks - Pullet or Roo? (Pic Heavy)

Katydid2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
West Coast USA
I purchased these as sexed pullets. They've all grown at the same rate, with the Wyandottes being consistently slightly smaller than the rest. The only one that's notably more courageous than the others is the Buff Orpington. I wasn't able to get good photos of their feet, but hopefully what I do have is enough for those of you who are experienced at chicken sexing to offer an educated guess. Thanks!

Leila #1
Leila1.jpg

Leila #2
Leila2.jpg

Ava #1
Ava1.jpg

Ava #2
Ava3.jpg

Angelina #1
Angelina2.jpg

Angelina #2
Angelina1.jpg

Lily #1
Lily1.jpg

Lily #2
Lily4.jpg

Baby #1
Baby2.jpg

Baby #2
Baby1.jpg

Baby #3
Baby3.jpg

Zoe #1
Zoe2.jpg

Zoe #2
Zoe1.jpg

Ruby #1
Ruby1-1.jpg

Ruby #2
(Ruby is on the left and Lily is on the right)
RubyRedandLilyEE.jpg

Rose #1
Rose1.jpg

Rose #2
Rose2-1.jpg

SUMMARY -
1. Leila (EE)
2. Ava (SLW)
3. Angelina (SLW)
4. Lily (EE)
5. Baby (BO)
6. Zoe (Welsummer)
7. Ruby (Red)
8. Rose (Red)

*Edited to add summary

Last edited:
I go by the tails when they are young. I am s'picous of curling under tail feathers. The pullets tail feathers tend to be more squared off and straight up as the roos curl over and are narrowed at the end. Ruby and Leila ? It is hard to tell when they are balanced on your palm.

The only bird that needs to be watched for roo features is Lily. Red leakage on the wing in an EE is a sign of a roo 99.9% of the time.

Everyone else is a bunch of girls
smile.png

Yay for pullets!
big_smile.png
With regard to tail feathers, I don't think any of them really curl under. Here's a photo of the group walking, with the exception of Lily (EE) who's missing. It better shows their tail feathers and comparative size:

June212011-pulletsexing068-1.jpg

Whoops, that should read "Ava" not "Ave".
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom