Size Matters

If you already have the chickens, then all you can do at this point is up the protein intake.

The size of egg your chicken is going to lay is determined by genetics and how it was fed and what kind of lighting it received during the first approximately 28 weeks of life.

If you don't have the chickens yet, buy chickens that are supposed to lay jumbo eggs, feed them properly and well, provide proper lighting and you're all set!

Example of lighting issues. After 8 weeks of age, don't leave the lights on all night. It messes up their pineal gland. Things like that. edited to add: If given too much light they will reach sexual maturity well before they have gained the necessary size. When that happens, the eggs are smaller when they start their laying and they eggs won't get as big as they would have had they been raised in natural lighting. The pineal gland can register light even with the eyes closed.

Last edited:
I agree with Spangled. Begin with breeds known to lay large eggs and take the best care of them possible- they will do the best.

welcome-byc.gif

You've received some good advice so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here.

I have 15 chickens, 5 leghorns, 5 special black, and 5 Daul purpose brown all are a year old. I do get some jumbo eggs. I was running a red light overnight when the temps were in the single digits. The coop is well insulated. I adveraged a dozen eggs a day all winter. I will post the specs on the egg mash I use later today. They also get oyster she'll and I keep a constant supply of corn in there outdoor run. They pick at the corn but the mash is the bulk of there intake. Oh with having 5 sons (family of 7) I would think they get more table scraps than the adveraged chicken. Thanks for all you input.

Last edited:
Does the light of a heat lamp have a negative impact? I'm currently raising up some chicks, they have red lamp on 24/7 but I also have a flourescant light I use to extend their day to average summer day lengths. Should I restrict all light for future egg production? I am extending their day so that I can spend time with them after work but I would possibly look at an alternative to this if I can improve future production. Very interesting topic!

There is the food I am using and like I said earlier a little corn and table scrap as well. Is the something I can change to get larger eggs?

Back
Top Bottom