Size requirements

jordan4911

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2016
Somewhere snowy in PA
Can anyone who raises quail give me an idea of pen size or bird to cage ratio? I've searched all over and the numbers for pen size are everywhere. Even in the learning center the only number I got was 7+ ft high if I could make it that big. This will be an on the ground pen so they can be in the grass, shrubs, etc. and I'm planning on coturnix quail. Will mostly be for meat and eggs. thanks

Hi Jordan4911

I'm just getting started myself. Everything I've read is 1 square foot/+ per bird. "Ex: 3' wide by 4' long. 3x4=12. 12 birds"

I have to do cage. I don't have the room for ground /runs. But it would be cool to watch them play on the ground.

You're going to find a different answer everywhere you look because it basically comes down to personal opinion and experience.

The 1 square foot per bird rule is generally a good place to start, though I've found that it usually tends to be more than needed. For example, I built a 3' (width) x 5' (length) x 2' (height) cage that should accommodate 15 birds. At any given time, all 25 that I have inside are in a group using less than half of the cage space.

I've also found that any birds that were raised together tend to be happier together and can tolerate smaller areas. If you mix adults, they will require more space to discourage fighting.

Most of my breeding adults are kept in cages that are 2' x 2' x 15"and have 1 male with 4 females. I've found that this setup works great and space isn't an issue.

Ultimately, I'd suggest going big. If you have extra space, you can always get more birds! That's how the craziness starts!!

I'm using 2x2 cages, 1' high for jumbo coturnix. I was originally planning on 4 females and a male in there, but I've decided to go with 3:1 in that space. I could put in more, and I will when growing out for meat, but I think the extra space is nicer. If I have to, I can always add another female to each cage and have 5 birds in 4 sq ft, so it also gives me flexibility.

Based on my experience, for coturnix minimum size requirement is 3 birds per 1 sq feet. I know most US and Europeans wont accept this and consider as animal abuse... Its not a standard, but here in Sri Lanka, I know of a guy who put about 50 birds in 5 x 2 x 1 cage and stack up to 4 cages... All of them are doing great and laying as usual... Better if you give more space..

Based on my experience, for coturnix minimum size requirement is 3 birds per 1 sq feet. I know most US and Europeans wont accept this and consider as animal abuse... Its not a standard, but here in Sri Lanka, I know of a guy who put about 50 birds in 5 x 2 x 1 cage and stack up to 4 cages... All of them are doing great and laying as usual... Better if you give more space..

I know guys that will put up to 16 coturnix in a 2x2 for growing out for meat. They grow into the space and you can start culling at 6 weeks, taking out the males and freeing up more space. It's always a balance between the optimum for the animal and space utilization.

Bigger cage is better, it's easier to set up the water and feed, birds are happier, and you can have more quail per square feet for the larger cage. 2x2 cage is too small, I think 2x3 is minimum. You can have 20 quail in 2x5 cage doing well, but 8 quail in 2x2 cage will be too crowded.

I have heard a 5x5 inch space to a 1 square feet space per bird.
I have a 3x5 coop that is attached to a 5x7 aviary that's 6 feet tall. I only have 12 coturnix and they love it.I'm a believer is more is always better :)

Back
Top Bottom