Skin Conditions

ChickenSmurf

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2017
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG
I wasn't sure where to post this thread. Hope I'm not "off topic!" I don't know if something is wrong with my hen or if this is normal. One of my 12 eight-week-old Black Australorps has "not-normal" looking feathers on her back right at her tail. Almost looks like a fungus under her feathers. Check out the pics. Is something wrong? They all seem to be preening more than usual, but what do I know?

Last edited:
You might be dealing with lice and or mites.

Last edited:
Unfortunately DE has been proven by many many members here to be useless. A permethrin based products works well. Mites live in the cracks of a coop and only come out at night to eat the bird. I prefer a produced made by Bronco...is sold as a fly spray for horses. I'd spray the coop real well and a few sprays on the bird.

Unfortunately DE has been proven by many many members here to be useless. A permethrin based products works well. Mites live in the cracks of a coop and only come out at night to eat the bird. I prefer a produced made by Bronco...is sold as a fly spray for horses. I'd spray the coop real well and a few sprays on the bird.
Always wondered about the efficacy of DE. Ants in garden don't like it, for sure, but it doesn't control them. Would the permethrin based product work as a preventative as well as a "killer?" I'm not 100% sure they have a problem at this point, but want to prevent one from occurring.

Always wondered about the efficacy of DE. Ants in garden don't like it, for sure, but it doesn't control them. Would the permethrin based product work as a preventative as well as a "killer?" I'm not 100% sure they have a problem at this point, but want to prevent one from occurring.
In my mind...one lice or one mite is a problem. This product is what I use to prevent.
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 7.16.44 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom