Skittish 6 week old chicks

hungry hunter

Songster
Mar 9, 2016
the Heart of Texas
We have 8 chicks and while all of them have never been "friendly", they didn't seem to mind people. A couple of them even seemed to like us and would hop up on our feet or let us hold them and pet them.

At least until last week...
The chicks outgrew their brooder, so I moved them into the coop w/ a heat lamp. I let them out during the day to forage in the run and then lock them back into the coop at night.
Ever since they have been outside, they have been much more skittish around people. Even the friendly ones run away and won't let us hold them.

Is there a way to get them back used to people?

I've been trying to just sit quietly near them with the hope that they will become accustomed to us again. Is there something more I could do?

I don't necessarily want 8 "lap chickens", but I at least would like them to not freak out whenever I come into the coop/run.

They are doing what they are supposed to be doing. They are prey animals. God designed them to be skittish. That behavior may help them survive a predator attack. In the mean time, you can offer treats by hand, but be sure to keep those treats to a minimum.

I have 11 6 week old chicks, 5 Isa Browns and 6 Cornish Cross. And they are the biggest babies I've ever seen. Granted, I am new to chickens and they were my first batch, so I spent a LOT of time with them in the craft room, (where 2 of my brooders are set up) I'd just go in and hang my head over the edge of the tote, or let my hand dangle inside it.. They'd come over and peck at the freckles on my arm.. or the little hairs on my arm. They are all super sweet.

I have what I call the teenagers, because I have 3 different ages. They are 4 weeks old... 5 Silkies, 2 Barred Rock and 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte. THEY are truly flighty. Omgosh, I couldn't even hardly walk over to the brooder and peek in without feathers flying everywhere. I've been making a conscious effort to spend more time with them. Doing the same with them as I did with the first batch. I've even been hand feeding them meal worms... :)

I have the advantage of them being shut up in the brooder. But from what I've learned so far, chickens are very inquisitive. Try going in to your coop or out in the run with them and sitting on a over turned bucket or on the ground... with some black oil sunflower seeds. I have not tried this myself. Yet. But I plan on it. :) Odds are, they will be nosy and want to know what you have. And as soon as they figure out it's something yummy, they'll want to be friends.

Just my .02 but it's worth a shot. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom