Skunk in live trap= step 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we get one, my DH wakes the skunk up by throwing pebbles or something that will cause the skunk to raise it's head. Their eye sight is very poor, you can walk right up to it , and shoot it. Make sure you shoot it in the head and it will not spray. Or, you can throw an old rug or blanket over the cage, drag it away from the area, to do the deed.

Throw a tarp over the cage. Use a tarp that you are willing to throw in the garbage afterwards. Then you will be able to pick up the cage with a pitchfork or hoe to dispose of the skunk as you wish.

Remember that skunks are very good at finding their way back home again. So don't think that if you drive that skunk 10 miles from your house that it won't show up again. I avail myself of the local wildlife dept program, don't know / care what they do with the animal. I have a neighbor who prefers to teach them to swim in the local lake, with a little added ballast. Tie a rope to the cage first if you decide to do that.

Also, look around for a litter of babies. Females may be nesting in your area and those babies will need to be humanely taken care of as well. I find it best to let the wildlife dept deal with the babies.

Lastly, try to prevent skunks from happening again. Close up all holes and entry points (I fill them in with concrete), liberally sprinkle moth balls under porches, sheds, etc..., and keep the area moist when all else fails. Skunks dont like to nest where it's wet. That's another good way to ferret them out from under something...stick the end of a hose down an entry hole and turn on the water full blast. Even after they come out, leave it running to really wet the place down, throw moth balls in there, fill up the holes, and pray they find another home.

Thanks for the advise. 20 foot radius; you sure?
I was asked not to get sprayed! Like that was not already a priority.
Where is Miss Jayne when you need her?

Last edited:
My mom claims the only fight she saw her folks have was over a skunk...it sprayed my grandpa...he took his clothes to a laundramat washed them and hung them back in the closet...yup it stunk up the whole place...grandma went to yelling everytime she went near the closet...one day she was yelling and he was reading the newspaper...he set it down and informed her that if she said one more word about the skunk he was leaving...nothing else was mentioned about the skunk...I found out about it after their deaths!

Have no idea what that has to do with your question but it is a funny story!

When I set a trap there is always a good chance a skunk could be in there, so I tie a long rope to the cage. If there is Mr stinky in there in the morning, I just drag it off a very far ways downwind, Then I back off a good bit and introduce him to my two buddies Smith & Wesson. then I just dispose of him so the hawks and vultures can chow down too.

AL

The favorite dog shampoo recipe going around for skunk spray has peroxide in it. I think the oxidation destroys the odor. That would be worth mixing up for a person to shower and shampoo with.

For laundry, I'd use one of the products like Oxi-clean or Oxi-boost, that also works on odors and organic stains by oxidizing.

The best plan, of course, is not to get sprayed at all. It never hurts to have a back-up plan, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom