Skunks/predator problems.

Joey6392

Chirping
May 15, 2019
We had skunks that we think live under our shed because we see them walking around in the front lawn every other night. We also have 2 ducks that are about 4/5 months old a male pekin and a female roen duck. The skunks haven't been a problem so far but this morning I walk out into my front yard to see the torso and head of a skunk sitting their with flies on it and I'm worried it whatever did this might go after my ducks if anybody has any advice please let me know.

Attachments

• 15652707391448921055678287870067.jpg
    15652707391448921055678287870067.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
I've never had a skunk bother adult birds. I think they mainly go after worms in your lawn at night, and they are scavengers and will eat chicken feed. But I did have a skunk eating some chicks a broody hatched out. I dispatched it.

What does
I tagged @A_Fowl_Guy, he knows a lot about predators, so hopefully he will get the alert that he was mentioned and come answer your question.

Edited to add:

"
Ground Predators
Some ground carnivores prey on skunks. While the exact number of species that prey on skunks is unknown, red foxes, cougars, coyotes and domestic dogs are among them. These animals tend not to prefer skunk, though, because it is difficult to successfully attack and kill one without being soaked in its pungent natural spray. Most such predators will prey on skunks only if their other options are limited or nonexistent.

Aerial Predators
Unfortunately for the skunk, his most notorious and effective defense mechanism is powerless against predators striking from the sky. Species like the great horned owl and the red-tailed hawk prey on skunks from above. While some birds of prey have a sense of smell, these ones and others have little to none, rendering them effectively invulnerable to the spray that keeps most other predators at bay."
Source: https://animals.mom.me/species-major-predators-skunks-3384.html

Back
Top Bottom