Sleeping chicken

brittany6515

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2016
My chicken is a polish whyndotte mix.. we got her about a month ago. She hasnt laid an egg since we got her. She sleeps alot but eats and drinks good.. not sure if it molting, if shes gonling to lay again or something more serious.. help!

First off.....How old is this Chicken? Being you just got her a month ago I believe you introduced her to your Flock..?
Stress and Pecking order come into play....She will not lay till she is established into the flock...Give her time....

Cheers!

I'm not exactly sure how old she is but she was laying before I got her.. She moved here with her sister.. she was doing great they followed each other everywhere.. even last weekend she was all over the yard with the rest of them.. it seems like this week she has been sleeping alot standing up.. she won't even follow her sister around in the yard.. her comb is a pale pink gray color..

Hi.
frow.gif

Agreed, she sounds sick. How many other chickens besides the sisters do you have?

Also, it is normal for laying to stop after a move like that. But the standing around is suspect especially since that's not how she was last week. When asked what you are feeding, please include treats.

You might think about starting her on an antibiotic.

That's what I do when a chicken turns up with symptoms such as yours has.

The first sign of trouble is that they go mute. Then they park themselves, like a zombie, barely moving, with tail held low, and eyes closed, dozing off.

I have one now that was like that six days ago. She's responding to the amoxicillin I'm giving her and is almost back to normal.

I have another hen who has recurring infections that cause her to behave in this manner. She gets started on the antibiotic the second I notice her doing the zombie act.

When you get used to the signs of a sick chicken, you can more often than not make them well again if you catch it early.

Where can I get the antibiotic? I'm feeding meal worms, fish, eggs,a sunflower mixture treat, the food of give them is Mature Wise Feather Fixer.. it's her her sister, my rooster and 2 other hens

It does sound like the feed to me....
Feed Her layer pellets and grower crumble at a 50 /50 ratio..Oyster shell and granite grit out free choice...No TREATS for two weeks...Treats then at 5% of daily ratio..Meaning a Tablespoon each bird a day...I give treats once a week....Bring her in...Put her in a crate for 24 hours and Give only fresh cold water and regular Chicken feed...

Keep us posted to her condition..
Best of luck..

Cheers!

So I should stop feeding them the feather helper food? Are you able to send pictures of the stuff I need to give her? I'm heading over to fleet farm now

So I should stop feeding them the feather helper food? Are you able to send pictures of the stuff I need to give her? I'm heading over to fleet farm now
Im in Canada, my feed is local...Buy Grower Crumble and another bag of Layer pellets...Grower will be around 17% protein and layer pellet about 16%....

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom