Sleeping Hen

jwing7

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Please help. I have one hen who seems to want to sleep all day. They have just finished two weeks of antibotics for runny noses & cough. Now I have no idea what is wrong with this one. Very new to all of this but we are already very attached. Can anyone give us some suggestions. She walks ok when they are out free range, but then just stops and sleeps for a while. Should we be worried????
roll.png

She might need to be wormed. I use Wazine. I lost a pullet earlier in the year who was very lethargic and sleepy. Then, another pullet started acting the same way so I gave her a wormer, as well as all of the other chickens. The larthargic pullet got better right away and I had no other troubles.

Thank you so much will give that a try. Any other ideas? This is a Rhode Island Red.

Some increased sleep time is normal when they have been ill but not all the time. It would help to get good flora back into her gut as the antibiotics may have killed all of them off with the bad bacteria. If she does not improve quickly she may not be able to properly digest and absorb the nutrients and calories from her food. Some folks use organic plain flavored yogurt but most vets recommend to get the lactobacillis (and the other good flora) from them or at a natural health store--or some supermarkets carry it too.

Is she eating and drinking? Is she pooping? Hydration and energy from food is essential for her to make it. I'd offer some scrambled eggs to her or her favorite food (mealworms are often a big hit) to get her eating better if she is not.

Hope your girl gets better
icare.gif

Back
Top Bottom