Sleeping in nesting boxes

foodieandeggs

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
My chickens have been sleeping in the nesting boxes every night for the past 2 weeks, ever since I introduced them. I do not want to have to block off the nesting boxes because I do not want to have to move the the cover in the morning. The sleeping beauties are 16 weeks old. From what I read, they will grow out of it. Is this true? What should I do? Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a lot of birds that sleep in my nesting boxes. I collect eggs daily, so they don't sleep on the eggs. What's the problem with them sleepng there? Some choose to perch, some like their boxes. I don't fight it.

Mine sleep in the nesting boxes too! I don't want my eggs covered in poop, and I have one hen that will not lay in a nesting box with poo. The only thing that I found to keep them out was to block off the boxes.

Are they laying at 16 weeks? If not, why not just leave the boxes covered for a couple weeks and maybe they will forget how nice the boxes are to sleep in once they start laying!

good luck

I am amazed how much poop there is in the nesting boxes just over night. They are not laying yet. I do not want them to be discouraged to lay in them because of the poop. Also I don't want them to think that that is where they sleep.

Last edited:
Block them off. Save yourself some work in the long run. Teach them the to roost on their perches. By the by are your perches higher than the nest boxes?

Block off the nesting boxes. It will just take a few days for them to learn to sleep on the roosts instead. I had to physically pick up mine and move them to the roosting poles a few times. But now they sleep on the roosting poles on their own. I never let mine sleep in the nesting boxes because I want the nesting boxes as clean as possible. And chickens poop a lot when they sleep.

I physically move them every night but somehow they jump back in the nesting boxes. Will they grow out of this?

Last edited:
Are your roosts higher than the nest boxes? If not, that could be why they are sleeping in the boxes. They usually like to roost at the highest point they can. If they are not laying yet, like Den In Penn said, block off the boxes.
Jack

I physically move them every night but somehow they jump back in the nesting boxes. Will they grow out of this?

Since they are not laying yet you need to block off the nest boxes. You do not have to remove the cover every morning. I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure they won't lay for a couple weeks (they are 16 weeks now right?), so just leave the boxes covered for 2 weeks, and show them to the roost. In 2 weeks they will probably just continue to sleep on the roosts and you can uncover the nest boxes and put in some golf balls or fake eggs and you will be good to go.

To be clear, I only offer these suggestions based upon what I've read NOT upon actual experience...but a couple other posters made the same recommendation.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom