Sleeping in nesting boxes.

You have gotten some very good advice. Hope the problem has been resolved by now.

Welcome to the BYC flock - glad you joined us.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Now that the brooding is over, I can tell what I learned. Number one: If you can catch what is going on in the first 4 days and get her out of the nest she will start laying again within about 7 days in another nest. But if you let it keep going for two weeks or longer like I did, it may take up to 18 days after you get her out of that nest before she will start laying again. This is what I did: First I use bins that I got from Lowes as nesting boxes. They are easy to clean and when something like brooding starts all you have to do is turn it around so she can't get in it. Boy, was she (Hazel) mad. I left it in the coop for two days like that. Since I only have two hens,I set up another bin and put it in a different place in the coop so the other hen (Birdell) could keep laying and she immediately went to it and kept laying. Really it only took Hazel about a week and half before she started laying again in the new nest that Birdell was laying in. I tried to put another nest back in the first place I had put a nest, but they will not use that one again. I hope this helps and that your brooding hens will get their poop together and you don't have to wait 3 weeks for them to start laying again like I did. Chicken Fred in NC.

Oh, Something I forgot to tell you is that both of my hens are Leghorns and they give me an egg a day (big eggs). So I was used to getting 60 eggs a month. So when Hazel went broody, I was not happy..I was used to getting all these eggs and the production got cut in half. Now I'm happy again.

Back
Top Bottom