Sleeping on ground not the roost?

raisinemright

Songster
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013

This is a pic of my coop, the box is 4x4x4, the run us 8' long including under the coop. I have four diff roost. One is in the run and their are basically 3 inside the coop. I'm wandering why the chickens are outside of the house more than in it day or night? Most eggs will be inside the nesting box and a couple will be in the corners of the coop. So they go into it to lay but I thought they would sleep more on the roost and not be on the ground do much? Is this odd or is their something about the box they don't like? The roost boards are 1x4's flat.

Here are a couple more pics, the front face of the box splits in half to allow a 2'x4' door to swing upwards and allows for another roosting spot and can be closed for cold weather. I'm proud of it and how sturdy it turned out!

Wow that little coop must be nothing but roost!
Wonder if they have a hard time getting up there?

4' x 4' is too small for 6 chickens, they probably feel crowded.

Maybe take out some...they only need about a foot each.
Can you take a pic of the inside of coop, maybe thru the window when the light is on?

No that little coop is not all roost, I'll get some pics tonight. There are two 1x2's the first one is 1' from the back wall and 1' off the floor, the second is about 1'-10" from the back wall and 1.5' off the floor. The third roost in the coop is only available when the front half is opened up then they can roost on the edge. The fourth roost is inside the run and they all are 4' long. So I guess there is only 12' available when the front half is closed. I will get some inside pics later to try and clear up what I'm describing. Thanks for the reply

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom