Slimy Water?

EELover

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
I got baby chicks a few weeks ago from the feed store and the last couple of days I have found slime in their water. This is my 3rd set of chicks that I've raised and I don't remember slime in the water. Its been about 25 weeks since my other chickens were babies but I just don't remember this. My adult chickens don't have slimy water. Is it just poop or is it something else? I'm puzzled.

I cleaned it out thoroughly yesterday. It wasn't green like algae. It was yellowish cream color that you could kind of see through. Algae is green right? I know its green in fish tanks.

ya it would be a light and dark green around the inside of the bowl. And how long does it take for it to be slimy??

24 hours. I went to dump out the water and this yellow and cream colored slime oozed off the bottom piece.

Last edited:
if you are not favoring having to change out their water 1 to 2 times a day, then get a hamster water bottle, they look like this my chicks only drink from this from now on
70328_waterbottle.jpeg
these are easy to use, and the chicks learn to use them within a few minutes

my water also gets yellow and slimy but I change it a couple times a day. Not a real slime , just a bit slimy. The waterer is about 3.5" off the ground so no poop. I was thinking it came from the pine chips that still manage to get in there from the exuberant scratching of the chicks. not a big deal to change often as I want the chicks to see me often and get used to my presence. It seems to work as after a week they are still a bit skittish but quickly come up to see if I have any treats.

Back
Top Bottom