Slipping in Chicks Under a Broody

poseygrace

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Georgia
So I have a broody setting on 6 eggs, due 8/1 or 8/2. I was thinking of giving her some chicks that a friend I met on BYC is hatching out of an incubator on 7/29 and 7/30. I want to keep any chicks that hatch under the broody, just add a few more. Do ya'll think it would be a problem to slip in some chicks at night once my broody's other chicks hatch out? Would the couple days difference in age matter?

I know of one person that has done that. She works at a feed store that I buy feed from. She told me she had a some chicks hatch in her bater shortly (I believe she said a couple of days)
after her broody hatched some. She said she waited untill after dark when the hen and babies were sleeping and then put 4 newbies under the hen. She had no problem except receiving a few angry nips on her hands from the protective hen. I hope this helps in your decision. misty

I put day 18 eggs from our incubator under two silkies and one orp, all three were broody. All three accepted the eggs. Day 19, the orp hatched one egg and left the nest and did not return. I moved the hatchling to the brooder and the unhatched egg to the incubator. one silkie hatched one egg. Day twenty, I placed hatched chicks under both silkies. The new chicks were fully accepted and cared for.

Last edited:
I do it every year with several broodies. I don't like having all my eggs in the same place, so I when I give some to a broody I also put some in the bator. The hen or hens end up with all that hatch under them or in the bator.

Once a chick has hatched under the hen you can add what ever you want before she gets up to feed the first one. You don't have to wait for night. Just cup the chick and slide it under. By the time it pokes it head out it will have a mother.

Matt

Quote:
Seems like broodieness is a virus, it spreads. Broody hens will steal eggs, non-broody hens will lay eggs next to the broody and even help roll them under the broody. Guess its just a part of chicken math.

Back
Top Bottom