Slow developing roo or a young Pullet? - Lemon cuckoo Pekins 4 weeks old

purplesquirrel

Songster
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
I hatched 4 chicks from some eggs I bought online.
I sold 2 and kept 2, hoping that I had guessed right for one male and one female (to breed my own pure - (this is the first generation of new blood, with a 50% chance of being related at all)
One was always much smaller than the other, I actually had to help it hatch - this was the reason I did not sell this one.

One is OBVIOUSLY a roo but the other is smaller, timid, less bold and has a very small comb, but this one was born small so my thoughts are a lot of these traits may stem from being born small...

The smaller one (called Maria) has quite a pink comb and under the jaw, not peachy or yellow like a female comb normally is, but no where near as bright red as my other one's (Lucas)

Here are some photos:

Maria:

Lucas:

Together:

If anyone can shed some light on this that would be very much appreciated.
Sorry about the picture quality, it's nearly 11:30pm here!
:)

Definitely a male and a female!
Maria's comb is pinky/peach whilst Lucas has a very big and bright red one! I was worried her's might suddenly blush red over night like some of mine have before (sly cockerels)...
Yeeeeeeeeyyyyy :D
Here they are on top of their night time box in the house (in my bedroom) as the room their brooder is in gets waaaay to cold now, and there's only 2 of them so not much snuggle with, hoorah!
The one of them curled up in my scarp was a few days ago, they slept beside me in my bed I crossed-stitched and watched a film hehe

Back
Top Bottom