Slow Website!?

Is anyone else's BYC.com page running very slow for them or is it just me?

YES! The pages have all of a sudden started loading VERY slow. It appears to be something with all the ads, I'm guessing its the script or something in the background associated with the ads trying to collect your data and put cookie files on your computer. In the top corner of the ad on the top right of your screen, you'll see an icon that looks like this:

Click on that, and it will tell you that you are seeing this ad based on your web browsing activity. Basically, the ads are looking at the cookies left on your computer by other websites you've been to. The ads see what type of things you look at, then show you ads about similar products in hopes that you will click the ad to go to that products page. Its targeted web marketing. Clicking the icon will allow you to set privacy settings and give you more info on how this all works. Basically, the behind-the-scenes script and traffic between your computer and the ad service could be slowing down the page loading, which is frustrating on a forum when you want to read through multiple pages of info and every page takes 30 seconds to load.

The mobile app doesn't have this problem, but the mobile app is not saturated with ads. Yet. Its all about this website making money. They are paid for providing ad space. The more people who come to this site, the more they can charge for ad space.

I actually have Adblock for Google Chrome on. Not sure what the problem is.
hmm.png

The BP Ultimate fuel ad just popped up on my screen (Firefox on android) and since then everything is *crawling*.

The first thing I saw was a purple loading bar overlaying the page. Then the green ad appeared a few seconds later. The animation in it was moving very slowly and jerking. I clicked to kill the ad - since then pages are loading incredibly slowly and I understand what people are complaining about!

I'll clear my cache but don't want to kill cookies cos then I'll lose every pre-filled password for all the sites I use :(

Anyway, I think that ad is a likely suspect. Maybe it's pop-ups rather than sidebar ads causing the problem?

This site has been painfully slow for me since the day i signed up while using google chrome on my macbook
barnie.gif
but i just switched over to safari and it is working perfectly now .

Back
Top Bottom