SLW and BO egg laying

Apr 25, 2023
I have 2 slw and 2 bo that are 29 weeks old and none of them are laying yet. Not a big deal, I have 2 EE that are 34 weeks that have been laying since 20 weeks pretty steady. What I am wondering is; since we are getting pretty cold here and daylight is only about 10 hours (give or take) could they not start laying till next spring when the days start getting longer? I do not use any lighting in the run or coop. Two of them do the eggs song once in a while, but no eggs that I can find. Maybe they get a kick out of sending me on a wild egg chase. :lau

Those breeds can be late bloomers, so that's normal. They may or may not wait until days start getting longer again, there's no good way to tell other than watching the color of their combs and doing butt checks. I have 4 Wyandottes hatched in April, two just started laying recently and the other two look like they are going to wait until springtime. I've had April-hatched Orpingtons start as late as mid-December (zone 6 with cold winters) so you never know.

Back
Top Bottom